z

Young Writers Society

Anybody write in second person?

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sat May 05, 2007 6:16 am
JC says...

Information comes from Writersblock.com. See Clau's link!

Here's the history!!!!
A couple of decades ago, no writer for the general public would dream of addressing the reader directly by using the second person. The approach would have been considered much too forward.
More fun stuff!!!!!
In recent years, the prohibition on directly addressing the reader has turned 180 degrees. The turnaround has been effected chiefly by the need, in technical writing, to convey procedural information in a conversational style (rather than by using the imperative mood, which is not always appropriate) and by the need to avoid the style and gender-bias issues raised by the third person singular. Addressing the reader as "you" is accepted as the preferable style in most material of this sort.
WARNING!!!!!
Notice that, if used once unnecessarily, "your" begs to be repeated thereafter. The resulting repetition gives a text a kindergarten feel. ("Now, you are going to take your knapsack and hang it in your cubby...." Get the picture?)
=D
So, don't be afraid to talk to your readers—but try not to patronize them!

Hehe, I've tried to write a story in 2nd person, but it ended up terrible, so after looking it up, I thought, "Hey, why not post it here? Maybe other people are having problems with it too!"
And so.... Voila!!!

Merci pour ton temps!
-JC
Last edited by JC on Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat May 05, 2007 1:51 pm
Emerson says...

Tes Temps, Since there are more than one of us, Oui? Or even Vos, if you wished to be truly formal!

Second person is something I'd love to try my hand at, and I've even got a short story plot I've been thinking on that I think would roll together nicely like this if I could actually write it. But, you have to be inherently good at it, and have intention. You can't just say, "I want to write in second person!" You need a reason. Usually this reason would be to draw your reader in, to make them feel more, to put them right in the hot seat. And even in third person we do this, but if done right second person does it even more. I'd say the one book every writer and, for that matter, every writer attempting to write second person, should read is Italo Calvino's If on a Winter's Night a Traveler.

The book was amazing, and the second person was natural and felt right. Plus, the way he did it was amazing. I've also read some really, really bad books in second person. And when you do, it's not cool. You want to stab your eyes and cry, because it's horrible.

I wish you luck if you plan on writing in second person ;-)

And can't find any good articles on writing in second person, though I did find the one you quoted from. The Second Person. Make sure you tell us where you get your information! you just said web site, but now I've given the link.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

514 Reviews

Sat May 05, 2007 5:13 pm
JC says...

Oops, yeah, forgot the link. *blushes*

(and about the ton temps, I used it because I was talking to the reader directly at the time of the reading. Also, I would use the formal vos, except that I consider you all to be friends...so the result is ton temps. But I suppose it works either way, depending on the intention =D)

Hmmm...I've never read it, but your praise makes me curious, I'll check it out!

Merci pour ton/vos/tes temps =D
-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri May 11, 2007 12:17 pm
Twit says...

I always associate the second person with those "Give Yourself Gosebumps" books. Not sure that I'd ever try to write in second, I think it would be too patronizing.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:33 am
chocoholic says...

I wrote a story for an assignment in second person. I don't know how it turned out because it was my first try and my teacher hasn't given it back to me. Fortuneately my SOSE teacher also teaches English, so she'll be able to tell me what I did wrong, if anything.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:37 am
Alice says...

So second person is like your talking to the audience? I've wondered this for like EVER and nobody at my school knows not even the teachers.
I just lost the game.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:46 am
Snoink says...

JCobsesed wrote:Here's the history!!!!
A couple of decades ago, no writer for the general public would dream of addressing the reader directly by using the second person. The approach would have been considered much too forward.
More fun stuff!!!!!
In recent years, the prohibition on directly addressing the reader has turned 180 degrees. The turnaround has been effected chiefly by the need, in technical writing, to convey procedural information in a conversational style (rather than by using the imperative mood, which is not always appropriate) and by the need to avoid the style and gender-bias issues raised by the third person singular. Addressing the reader as "you" is accepted as the preferable style in most material of this sort.
WARNING!!!!!
Notice that, if used once unnecessarily, "your" begs to be repeated thereafter. The resulting repetition gives a text a kindergarten feel. ("Now, you are going to take your knapsack and hang it in your cubby...." Get the picture?)
=D
So, don't be afraid to talk to your readers—but try not to patronize them!

Hehe, I've tried to write a story in 2nd person, but it ended up terrible, so after looking it up, I thought, "Hey, why not post it here? Maybe other people are having problems with it too!"
And so.... Voila!!!

Merci pour ton temps!
-JC

Wait... did you quote this? Remember, cite your sources! Otherwise, this is plagiarism and that's bad. :o

With that said, I think that talking about "you" in the conversational sense is still talking in first person because I, the narrator, am referring to you. True second person, I think, is different, because it has no mention of "I."
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:15 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Personally, I think second person is dangerous. I have a phobia of getting caught up in all the "you"'s, and if not, I'm afraid I'll give up on everything and just write it in the "regular" form or fashion, aka 3 or 1 person.

Yeah, not very many know about second person. I was, like, "O.O Well, if there's a first and third person, who's in the middle?" Hehe.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:35 am
Prokaryote says...

If you want to familiarize yourself with second person, go check out a bunch of the old "Choose Your Own Adventure" books.

Those things are incredible. <3

Prokaryote

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:49 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Haha. Oh, yeah! I remember those. I always hated how i turned out. >.<
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

514 Reviews

Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:20 am
JC says...

hehe. Snoink, it was mixed up a bit, but yeah, mostly I read it once over to make sure I was right and posted something here. So a lot's just the same cuz of memory...

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:11 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Interested in POV, I see.

Go here: viewtopic.php?t=13592

I double dog dare ya!

Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:38 pm
Rydia says...

My sister and I wrote our last novel in a mixture of second and third person. We had certain sections which we called key points where we addressed the reader directly and I think it was very effective.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:55 am
Leja says...

Second person can be difficult to pull off, but is always interesting when done well.

Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights