z

Young Writers Society

The Roundtable of Dead Heroes

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:50 pm
Writersdomain says...

Does anyone else find that their favorite character in a book always dies?

In almost 90% of all the books I read, my favorite character dies. Sometimes they die early on; something near the end, but they all die. Of course, the main character and his girl live through to the end of the book, but my favorite character always ends up dying.

Does anybody else feel my pain? :cry:
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:05 pm
Twit says...

Um, I don't know, really...

In Robin Hobb's books, I always liked the Fool best, as I found Fitz to be a bit too conscientious in some ways, and not conscientious enough in others. And the Fool went away.

In Arthur Conan Doyle's stories, Holmes had a three year hiatus, does that count?

In LOTR, Frodo went away, but I like Pippin best.

In POTC, Jack died, and Jack was my favourite character. (He's coming back soon, though! :D)

In Star Wars, Darth Vader/Anakin died, but Han Solo and Obi-Wan are my favs.

In A Tale of Two Cities, Sidney Carton died, and he was my favourite character.

I don't think there's any others. I s'pose its mixed. I always tend to like the sidekick best.

-ST
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:11 pm
Fangala the Flying Feline says...

Yes, I know exactly what you mean! Why couldn't Harry Potter die instead of Sirius Black?
"Hey look! A black shooting star!"

"That's no star...that's Fangala!"

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

Yes! I lost all faith in J.K. Rowling when she killed Sirius. :(

I almost didn't finish The Subtle Knife because Lee Scoresby died. *sob* Poor Lee. :cry:
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:28 am
Jennafina says...

There should be a spoiler warning on this, if we're talking about who dies. :D

I know what you're talking about, though. Maybe authors make the character that's going to die particularly likable, to make their death sad.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:31 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Ye. My favourite characters tend to come back to life, though *cough*Gandalf*cough*

Dumbledore died... that made me sad.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:42 pm
Alainna says...

Yeah......either die or end up a crack head/mental/depressed........*Sigh*. It's the way of the world.........
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 87
Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:32 pm
gymnast_789 says...

I feel your pain! I've been reading a book where there is this girl I can realate myself to and she ends up dying. It happens in everyother book I read too.

34 Reviews

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:54 pm
Ani May Queen says...

Besides HP and one of Dean Koontz's books, I can't think of anything off hand, but I know I've had that happen to me. I usually mope for days afterward before finally picking the book up again. I think I scared my mother once because I yelled at a book because a character I liked died.
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality. - Jules de Gaultier

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:26 am
Snoink says...

Grr... yes. Stupid bottomless pit! :o

Plus, OMGAZ. Strick??? *dies*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

34 Reviews

Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

Jennafina wrote:Maybe authors make the character that's going to die particularly likable, to make their death sad.

Apparently. *pout* But why, why Lee? :cry: I will never forget what Philip Pullman did to him. Never. :evil:
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

34 Reviews

Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:51 am
Ani May Queen says...

There was point in one of Hilari Bell's book where I thought a character was going to die. He was my favorite character, I literally squealed every time his name was mentioned.

At one point, actually a few points, I thought he was going to get killed off. I was sitting there reading and praying at the same time. It's a good thing he didn't get killed off. I don't think I'd ever forgive Bell. But she had me worried for a while.
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality. - Jules de Gaultier

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:25 am
Writersdomain says...

Snoink wrote:Plus, OMGAZ. Strick??? *dies*

:lol: Hehehehehe!

Anyways, I have a bad habit of finding a favorite character early on (like, the moment I see their name in some occasions), so one of my favorite characters died in the prologue of the book I was reading. He died in the PROLOGUE! How sad is that!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:56 pm
Saphira says...

He died in the PROLOGUE! How sad is that!

I've read books like that to. What is the point in making a really interesting and likeable character just to kill them off in the prologue? I will never understand.

My favorate characters die. Normally they are ones that are hated at the beginning but turn out to be someone good in the end. Die saving the world and all that drama. (like sirius black in HP)

I don't like it when characters die! :(
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:11 pm
Jules the jester says...

I agree.

Especially in many of David Gemmel Books. :( My favourite book and the best character has to do. But i suppose he is a drunk, and idiot and very violent but he dies in a very good way saving the others.

My favourite characters alwaysd die in the most herioc ways in the book. Like in Winter Warriors the baddest of the good guys leaps to his death from a cliff dragging two demons who are trying to kill the important baby. It is important for them to die in some cases as it shows that no matter how someone appears they are willing to die for friends! :D

Well that seems long. SORR :lol: Y

If all pulled in one direction, the world would keel over.
— Yiddish proverb