z

Young Writers Society

What's the best line you've written in a story?

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:36 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

An opposite to The Best Worst Line You've Written in a Story. What's a brief line or excerpt that you wrote in a story that you're very proud of and can't even believe you wrote? Even if it doesn't seem that extraordinary it can still count

I'll go first with a few examples:

And then, his afterlife flashed before his eyes

(Context: character is a ghost who lost all his memories. This is the moment he finally remembers)

As Keith led Flax out of the arcade, he realized a major flaw in his already-dubious plan:

How was he going to sneak a whole cervitaur all the way back to his apartment?

Well, there was only one way to find out.

Hahaha I love keith and his inability to think about things for more than 30 seconds

So, YWSers, show off the story lines you are most proud of!!
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:50 pm
View Likes
humblebard1 says...

Gentle fingers brushed against his temples, tucking stray, wheat blonde strands of hair away from his vision

Not amazing, and from an extract I posted on YWS, but it speaks to me. NO IDEA why.

972 Reviews

Reviews: 972
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:54 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 says...

I have a lot of favorite lines that I wrote, but this is one of them:

“The people in her town said such funny things, the funniest being that “He is not a man, he is a monster!” whenever a man was found guilty of a heinous crime. As if men were somehow better than monsters because they were covered in soft flesh and had small, dull teeth.”

This was copied and pasted from my story “31 Hellish Halloween tales (part three)” from my folder titled “31 Halloween tales”.

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:44 am
View Likes
Youbeaucupid says...

Hm this has to be one of my favorites. This was a draft for a story I was working on, but stopped sadly. Still it's a wonderful line!

I reached out for her hand, fingers trembling with the weight of memories we once shared. But as my desperate touch met only the empty void, I felt the chill of loneliness seep into my bones, a haunting reminder of the love we once knew, now lost to the relentless passage of time. And in that solitary moment, I realized that the echoes of our laughter had faded into silence, leaving me stranded in a world devoid of warmth, longing for the embrace of a love that now existed only in the shadows of my fractured heart.
•I romanticized you to the point where the knives you pressed into my skin began to look like cupid's arrrow.•

life is so much better with tater tots
— AilahEvelynMae