z

Young Writers Society

Mary Sues

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:30 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Ah, yes, Mary Sues, one of the internet’s most infamous tropes.

If you don’t know, a “mary sue” is a type of character who has absolutely no flaws whatsoever. They are naturally good at everything they do, and every other character in the story either loves them or is jealous of them. If they are a fan character, they break the canon in some way (ex: being rainbow-colored, being way more powerful than everyone else, being an impossible hybrid, etc.)

So, yeah, you get the idea. The purpose of this thread isn’t to bash on mary sues that other people have made, but it’s to ask the question: have you ever made a mary sue?

I’ll go first:

In 6th grade, I made an oc for the web series BFB. For a little bit of context, some of the characters in this show are sentient numbers. There was this one specific number, Four, who was a fan-favorite—so much so that everyone made ripoff ocs of him called “foursonas”

I made a foursona called Blace. Now, not only was she a rip-off of four, but she was also a ripoff of a pokémon called Blacephalon. How exactly was she a mary sue, you ask? Well, she was an impossible hybrid (part number, part demon, part human), she had multiple forms and fire powers (which no other character in the show had), and she had no flaws at all.

So tell me, YWSers, have you ever made a mary sue?
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:28 pm
View Likes
herbalhour says...

Oh yes!

I made this character called Hallow

He basically was the ice and fire prince and was a wolf
and he was immortal
and he had every power ever
he also dated everyone
so like
i hated him now
all characters i make now have to have trauma or flaws that define them

spotify
NOW PLAYING:
I Think He Knows, Taylor Swift
0:10 ──●───────── 2:55
◁∥ ||PLAY|| // STOP // ∥▷

~l o v e r~

herb/tea/hour! He/She

projects:
5 acts (poetry)
treading through abyss (novel)

211 Reviews

Reviews: 211
Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:43 am
View Likes
OrabellaAvenue says...

Haha yeah I definitely have.

And there are wayy too many examples.

I once was writing a story with a character named Neorah. She used to have flaws, but she no longer did by the time the story started. She was the "perfect girl that everyone either hated or thought was too young". You know... the characters in the story I'm currently writing are also Mary Sues... I... ought to change that...
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
~Dr. Seuss

Orabella ~ Ora ~ Avenue ~ Aven
She/her

Who knows anything about anyone, let alone themselves.
— Hank Green