z

Young Writers Society

Not being able to finish novel

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:23 am
foxmaster says...

So, I basically have a problem... I am writing a novek but I cannot fi ish it, or anyothers I am writing. Like, I write a few pages, then I get bored and I cannot finish it. As you can see, this is clearly a problem. I need help, any suggestions?

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:44 am
View Likes
spottedpebble says...

The same thing used to happen to me all the time. After a while, I realized it was because I thought I had to write a whole book perfectly and in order in one go and never set it down. But after I put things aside for a while and then returned to them, I was able to write without feeling like it had to be absolutely perfect. Now I reorder chapters all the time. I almost never write my stories in order. Sometimes I'll write chapter 11 before chapter 1! Then I'll decide that chapter 11 makes a better chapter 5. Then I'll decide that chapter 6 needs to be completely rewritten. And so on.

I don't know if this will work, but try setting your stories/books/novels aside and letting them sit for a while. Then return to them, read through them, make some edits, and decide if you want to keep writing it. If you don't then it's not worth your time. Maybe you need to set it aside for even longer, maybe you need to rewrite the whole thing, or maybe you have to just get rid of it all. Try at least writing to chapter 3 or 4, and if you don't like it and don't want to keep going with that story, then you can get rid of it or take a break and work on something new.

(Not sure if this will help. Every writer has a different process.)
:)
rainbow
spot~pebble~peb~pebb~
in any order

she/they

spottedpebble

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:56 pm
foxmaster says...

thanks, this totally helped! (To be honest I made this last summer so I didn't even remember it until now XD)

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
— Winston Churchill