z

Young Writers Society

What is your favourite short story collection?

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:52 am
Liminality says...

Let's revive Fiction Discussion! :D

As I grow older, I'm beginning to realise just how much of my life was dominated by reading short stories. Outside of maybe that one time I never really had a book series I was 'obsessed' with, nor have I had the patience to finish 600-page novels (at least, not yet ;) ).

One of the short story writers I remember loving through childhood and through being a teenager is Neil Gaiman. I have his collection, 'M is for Magic' sitting on my desk right now. The introduction to the book is one of the few things that moved me recently, when I was re-reading it. Each of the stories in this book focuses on some fantasy / sci-fi/ speculative scenario and creates a vivid world and lore in just a short period of time.

Some of my favourite random things from this book:
- a plot revolving around a scam in a fantasy setting
- a cat (who's a hero)
- a character who eats lightning bugs (if I remember correctly haha)
- the Holy Grail showing up in a charity shop

So what are your favourite collections of short stories? (Or if you've never read a collection or anthology before, feel free to name individual writers or even individual short stories you remember enjoying!)
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:26 pm
View Likes
craftryebaritonejuno says...

My favorite short story collection has to be Stephen King's "Nightmares & Dreamscapes". It's got some awesome, creepy stories and something for everyone. Definitely worth checking out if you're into a little bit of spookiness!

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
— Neil Gaiman