z

Young Writers Society

Genres?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:07 am
Emerson says...

What is your take on genres? I was sitting, reading, while my dad mentioned that "new dragon movie" (Eragon, is it?) and I started thinking about how genre's are so crossed. And if they're crossed is there really any genre outside of 'fiction'?

I mean think about it. You have fiction, then fantasy. What is the definition of fantasy? "imaginative fiction featuring especially strange settings and grotesque characters" and Science fiction? "fiction dealing principally with the impact of actual or imagined science on society or individuals or having a scientific factor as an essential orienting component" but then you get the science fiction that talks about the future, Is that not fantasy?

And what about horror or dark stories, when there is an element of fantasy? And there is so many others I could go into. So the big question is: Do you think there is any true genre or all they are just combinations of things? And, can a book be placed in one genre alone? Are genres purposeless.

I know that with some genres its obvious what the book is for. But I suppose I'm referring more to genre-crossing, than anything else.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:42 am
Ares says...

Genres are for describing. If you tell somebody "fantasy" they know (kinda) what to expect. There just descriptive terms. Loosely descriptive terms.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:11 am
Emerson says...

true... they are loose. Maybe I look at them too strongly? But some people hold to genres like they're gold, and that's what they're novel will be launched off of, the genre (in some cases, that's true)

I think some books don't fit in genres, and even then, who approves of these genres?

(:lol: I think I'm just using this to ramble and think out loud. But its a discussion none the less!)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:15 am
Ares says...

Genres are the guidelines of literature, stop questioning their authority!

*MH's tiredness kicks in*

No...just joking...some books dont, but they can still be described by a genre. For instance...

"Basically, it's fantasy fiction, but kinda sci-fi-ish since the world's advanced."

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:56 am
smaur says...

For fantasy and sci-fi especially, genres don't really give you a clear impression of what the book entails. Mystery, for example, follows a pretty specific formula. So does romance. But sci-fi and fantasy don't really tell you what kind of plot the story will have, just the circumstances/environment/whatever surrounding that plot.

Genres are good for the post-production stages of a novel, i.e. the publication and the publicity, and for when someone is browsing through a bookstore and needs a quick way to lump together certain books so they can decide which ones they like best. So, yeah, don't hold genres to be the trumpeting standard of God. Or whatever.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:41 am
lexy says...

I dunno, there can be a mixture of genres in one film/book/poem. Complicated really!!!!
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. - Peter O'Toole

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:15 pm
Myth says...

It really depends. Most of the time there is one strong genre in focus with bits and pieces of others. I usually have historical combined with mystery or fantasy with sci-fi added in.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things...
— Gone With the Wind