z

Young Writers Society

Just need some tips on my new novel

Reviews: 0
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:29 am
Apocalypse8492 says...

The basic jist of this novel is somewhere along the lines of the TV show Jericho. Yes I know Alot of people disagree but Jericho was short lived, and I want to write something totally different, with more bang I guess. There were Alot of flaws in the show as well, but I do t wanna get on that. I've started planning out the main characters, the towns location, etc... I'm just looking for some advice, any tips, character advice, scenarios. I don't want any cliches.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:31 am
Holysocks says...

Hello and welcome to YWS!

Here's a link to the Writing Tutorials forum! You can explore that forum and hopefully find what you're looking for- there's lots of helpful articles there on characters, dialogue, beginnings, etc! Or you can ask a specific question here! C:
100% autistic

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:17 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

On top of what Holy has said, most of what you've asked can be achieved through your own research. I do heartily recommend you take a look at the link she has attached though, it does contain a wealth of information and I'll also add this to it. It's basically an encyclopedia of writing broken down into segments with detailed notes on how to do it. If you want to avoid cliches, the best way to do that is to analyze and know all of them. So, take a look at tropes.

And just some general tips for future question asking. You can pitch your ideas in the Resources section under Writers corner and writing tips as well as here. When you ask questions, try to ask specific questions so we can address your issue to the best of our ability instead of just saying, 'here is a list of resources you can look at.' : )

And welcome to YWS! I hope you enjoy your time here.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

An existential crisis a day keeps the writer's block away <3
— LadyBug