z

Young Writers Society

Who Are The Authors/Poets You Despise?

863 Reviews

Reviews: 863
Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:29 pm
Morrigan says...

@ElizabethLovelace Lois Lowry? LOIS LOWRY? Please support your opinion because this does not compute.
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:58 pm
SkyeWalker says...

Robert Frost, I am so sorry, but I just... NO

[hides from mobs]
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:53 am
Apricity says...

@SkyeWalker

Why is that? Frost is one of my favourite poets :p, so I want to know why you don't like him.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:44 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

John Green. I've read two books by him, and I feel like I've read them all. I feel like his main intention is to write easily quotable lines, and I think the fact that he's such an internet/social media person shows through in an irritating way in his books, and I'm not even sure why I think that xD

Also, I've never known any young people who speak like his characters speak.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:02 pm
Storygirl95 says...

For whatever reason, I can't stand Orwell. I read Animal Farm, hated it, and then tried others. Often times, classics are hit or miss for me so I thought I'd give another book a chance. I've read a few others, including 1984, and still hated it. Something about his writing style is irksome to me, and his characters usually make me want to stab a fork in my eye. I can see why people like him, but I just can't bring myself to be anything but unhappy with his work.
I also agree with Sparks and Hemmingway. I love the basic story ideas behind some of Sparks' novels, it's why I can get behind some of the movies, but the books themselves out me to sleep. One of the first times I've liked the movie better than the book.
As for Hemmingway, I mean no offense. I don't claim to be able to be as famous or great among so many. But every time I sit down to read his books, I find my attention wandering away. I can't focus on the content, and I just end up feeling like it's entirely too much work for not enough pleasure. Also, USE PUNCTUATION. Come on now.
Sorry.
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:12 pm
Poopsie says...

Demeter wrote:John Green. I've read two books by him, and I feel like I've read them all. I feel like his main intention is to write easily quotable lines, and I think the fact that he's such an internet/social media person shows through in an irritating way in his books, and I'm not even sure why I think that xD

Also, I've never known any young people who speak like his characters speak.
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:22 pm
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

@Hiraeth I think, for me, it's just his style. I tend to like poetry that tells a story. For me, he doesn't do that, but maybe I just haven't read the right poems. Feel free to link me some of your favorites though, I'll be happy to read them and give you my thoughts. Who knows, you could change my mind!
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

Random avatar

Reviews: 139
Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:54 am
deleted21 says...

Despise? Nope, None! >.< But, I don't enjoy reading John Green...I think I'm not mature enough (!) to read his books and not comfortable so yes. x3

P/S: To be honest, I don't really think I've ever enjoyed anything genuinely other than crime fictions, detective stories and that sort. xD

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:49 am
View Likes
Pompadour says...

Heh, this'll take a while.

Oscar Wilde's poetry. I love his plays, but his poetry and I do not get along. Most of Paulo Coelho's work I can't stand, except The Alchemist, which was an okay read, I guess. His tone just comes off as extremely sanctimonious to me, which it probably isn't, but. >.> Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe is like being hurled on an island and being given a square of cardboard to nibble on. Not a pleasant experience. I'm not a fan of James Dashner, either. I feel like all the events in The Maze Runner were rather predictable, and the prose read pretty flat, too.

I don't really despise any authors/their work as such, but I do feel disappointed with the very-formulaic structure most YA fiction authors appear to be employing these days. (Hello, Cassandra Clare, Roth, and Collins.) And I have issues with more-specific things, I guess, like the portrayal of social systems in fiction, and a dystopian world that is less dystopia and more 'ohmygoodness-love-triangles-and-unnecessary-overdramatic-cliffhangers!!!'.

I can't say, from an objective viewpoint, that any of these writers are terrible at what they do! But, subjectively speaking, I think they can/could have done a whole lot better.
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:35 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

I would like to speak up for Suzanne Collins, and mention that she's written more than the Hunger Games - and I might be biased by nostalgia, but I think her other series that I read, the Underland Chronicles, is much better.

As for folks I dislike... Green. I can't stand his characters, can't stand his writing style, nothing - the only thing interesting is his plots, but those are ruined by his characters being hypocritical self-serving little brats, and the whole thing reads like you're supposed to worship them, too. So yeah, not a fan, and his portrayals of teenagers are totally off the mark with regards to voice and reactions.

Other than that, I can't think of anyone I specifically avoid.
stay off the faerie paths

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:45 pm
Virgil says...

Some of these might vary(dislike to hate):

Cassandra Clare
John Green
Veronica Roth
James Dashner

*I don't hate all YA jeez*
Last edited by Virgil on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:58 pm
Astronomer says...

Veronica Roth for reasons that have already been mentioned.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:40 am
Attolia says...

Lavvie wrote:EDITH WHARTON

Like, how did The Age of Innocence win the Pulitzer? It's beyond me. To make Newland Archer such an introspective character is just a sign of hopeless arrogance on behalf of the writer. Ew.

Lavvie, I haven't read The Age of Innocence but have you read The House of Mirth ? Albeit I still haven't finished the final few chapters because the book depresses me to no end, but its protagonist really resonates with me. Can you elaborate a bit about why don't you like The Age of Innonence/Wharton ?? (Again bear in mind that I'm unfamiliar with Newland Archer, etc.) x

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:53 am
bluewaterlily says...

1. Louisia May Alcott: I tried reading Little Women in middle school but couldn't finish it. I'm sorry to anyone who read it and liked it but personally I found the characters too whiny.
2. John Green: I read The Fault in Our Stars but just wasn't impressed.I could not connect with his characters and there really didn't seem to be much of a plot. I also felt that the romance moved too fast and was underdeveloped. While John Green may have a few memorable quotes from his books, I feel like they're mostly inserted into the book so they can be just that. It is almost trying too hard at being clever. Also, a trend I've noticed is how static his characters are. At the end of the novel, the MC, Hazel, has no change or growth as a character.
3. Nicholas Sparks: I have read many of his stories, and after a while, they start to blend together. While Nicholas Sparks has beautiful imagery and a decent writing style, his characters are underdeveloped. Also, almost every story of his has a tragic but predictable ending. If you read several of his books, chances are you will become adept at predicting the characters and the plot because his books seem to be structured on the same generic foundation of a recycled plot.
http://thefederalist.com/2016/04/11/why ... r-romance/

4. Tahereh Mafi: Some of you may recognize Tahereh Mafi as the author of the Shatter me series. I loved the first book and I absolutely adore her writing style. I think she would make such a wonderful poet, but as a novelist, her worldbuilding, characters, and plot are underveloped. The [i] Shatter Me [/1] series is dystopian and the readers know that the society is a repressive one and that the environment has been drastically damaged by humans, but the reader never is given the opportunity to know how or why. On top of that, the second book and third book start a snowball effect with a dreadful and confusing love triangle. The plot also feels very rushed towards the end of the third book and leaves a lot of loose ends.
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:16 am
Kazumi says...

unrelated, but this is by far the saltiest thread I've ever seen and it's very ironic, knowing that YWS is a very friendly site

let the rivers of salt overflow
top kek

okay I think I need to grab some nachos
— BluesClues