z

Young Writers Society

Whats your favorite horror story?

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:05 pm
Bloodsrain says...

Personally, for myself, i'm a huge fan of Lovecraft, and I mean, not a lot of people aren't XD. The way how he describes things are quite fantastic.

One of my favorite stories from Lovecraft are the Pickman's Model, and the Colour from Outerspace. Of course, not to mention the classic Lovecraftian mythos of Cthulhu and the Old Gods.

As for a creepypasta, well, that's a whole other type of discussion, my favorite would probably be On a Hill, a very long creepy pasta that i'm a huge fan of do to its tension building. I remember while reading it, I jumped whenever someone messaged or talked to me.

Whats your favorite?

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:13 pm
Vikingr says...

I guess it's more like creepypasta, but Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky.
"A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--The Hávamál

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:49 pm
sinistercutlass says...

The horror movie that creeps me out the most is the old silent Nosferatu. Max Schreck in that hideous rat face vampire make-up is unreal....

Reviews: 0
Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:00 pm
ShadowedHeart178 says...

There's a horror author I really like called Rin Chupeco. She wrote two books, The Girl In The Well and The Suffering and they're both actually scary. She's got a really descriptive way of writing things - especially decaying corpses and the like - and she's just brilliant. I happen to love her writing and can't wait to see what else she comes up with.
If a story is in you, it has to come out.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 pm
Stori says...

I would say Hawkes Harbor by the celebrated S.E. Hinton. It wasn't just a horror tale; it was also the story of the main character's life. He returned to the States only to fall into the employ of a vampire; how's that for horror?

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:35 pm
Lightsong says...

When I was a child, I was so into Goosebumps series. The stories are brilliant and the horror is just creatively executed. xD I'm still to meet a good horror novel nowadays, hehe.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:25 pm
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

I'm far too much of a wimp to really venture too far into the horror genre, so I really have only one novel to mention here. I was impressed (and frightened!) by it, so I suppose it's worthy of a mention. I get scared just watching the ads for horror films, so there's no chance of having a favourite in that department.

So my favourite horror story, given my limited awareness of the genre, is Bird Box by Josh Malerman. I only read it because it was given to me to read, otherwise I would never have picked it up. It's quite a psychological one, that really taps into your fear of the unknown and unseen. The basic premise is that there's these beings that drive the people who so much as glimpse at them mad, but it's not these unknown entities that were frightening so much as certain characters. It was the actions of a character that still had me shuddering after I'd finished reading it. Super creepy.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:14 pm
View Likes
Songmorning says...

"Cry of Fear" is my favorite! It's a game, but it's a story too, and I might even love it more than Skyrim if I was only video-game-combat-saavy enough to beat the first boss. ;-; Fortunately, I got to see a YouTuber play it through in his channel, so I experienced the whole story.

Not so long ago, I would have wholeheartedly said, " 'Cry of Fear', with no competition!", but now I'd say "Fran Bow" (also a video game) is a close second...

I'm not much for horror movies, although I did watch "The Exorcist", and I really liked it. It was a spiritual battle, revealing the destructiveness of demons, and of course I loved the priest.

And while I'm going through the genres...Books? There was this old folk ghost story about some creature that said, "Tailipo, tailipo, whooo's got my tailipo?" (tailipo=tail). It really freaked me out when I was a child, and I couldn't go outside in the dark for months. XD
"...is there a being in the whole world who would have the right to forgive and could forgive? But there is a Being and He can forgive everything, all and for all, because He gave His innocent blood for all and everything." ~Dostoyevsky

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:19 pm
View Likes
Sevro says...

Well, I don't know if it's technically a "horror" story, but, the Ashes trilogy by Ilsa J. Bick is very scary. It's about this EMP that wipes out the world's electronics (that's surprisingly not the most frightening part XD) and turns people into these crazy cannibal-zombie things. It's very fast paced, and very good. I recommend it to those who have night lights like a good thrill!

And, @TriSARAHtops, Bird Box is so good! I loved it a lot, and closed my eyes whenever I went outside for a while, not gonna lie.
"They think I'm still a child. The fools. Alexander was a child when he ruined his first nation."
—Darrow from the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown<3

Spoiler! :
Formerly olsene and Caterpickle

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:59 pm
Persistence says...

@Sevro that sounds like an exciting one. Would be fun if the main characters were a programmer/infamous hacktivist (cause they wouldn't be able to do the one thing they're good at) and an actual cannibal who has all those new zombie friends wanting to eat them back xD

I don't really get scared by stories, but the Exorcist was great, as well as the Shining, and 1408.
Deep thoughts remind me of unfinished

Sometimes poetry is inspired by the conversation entered into by reading other poems.
— John Barton