z

Young Writers Society

Book Idea Problems

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:07 pm
arsabdul says...

Well, hi, I am kinda new at this website :D
So here´s the thing... I am a fantasy lover, and I want to write a fantasy book, BUT I have this big problem with my ideas, I mean, I have ideas but I am not so sure about them, cause I don´t think they´re as original as they should be, and I just need some advice on this problem, how can I come up with super original ideas? Or transform a very used topic into an original idea?
Please, Help.
P.S: I love PJO lol

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:39 pm
Aley says...

Hey arsabdul!

Welcome to YWS.

For the most part in any literature, it is hard to write something that hasn't been written before. The key thing is going to be making yours something that other people want to read. Some of the ways you can do that is by being original on the little levels, like avoid cliches, things you've heard before, things you've seen before, or things you think you might have seen in that one spot somewhere... maybe.

The more you read, the more you'll be able to identify things that are unoriginal, but that doesn't mean you should avoid writing all together, because even though it might have been done before, it's never been done by You. Bring your own perspective to the dialogue of literature. If you want to add to the current conversation about space travel like what's going on with X-men and Star Trek, do it, but make sure you have something to say about it that they haven't said, or that you present your idea in a way they have not done.

I'm just one voice in a mountain of advice here on YWS though. I think if you gave us a brief synopsis of your ideas, we could point out what We see you need to improve, and maybe even brain storm how to improve it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:59 am
arsabdul says...

Aley wrote:Hey arsabdul!

Welcome to YWS.

For the most part in any literature, it is hard to write something that hasn't been written before. The key thing is going to be making yours something that other people want to read. Some of the ways you can do that is by being original on the little levels, like avoid cliches, things you've heard before, things you've seen before, or things you think you might have seen in that one spot somewhere... maybe.

The more you read, the more you'll be able to identify things that are unoriginal, but that doesn't mean you should avoid writing all together, because even though it might have been done before, it's never been done by You. Bring your own perspective to the dialogue of literature. If you want to add to the current conversation about space travel like what's going on with X-men and Star Trek, do it, but make sure you have something to say about it that they haven't said, or that you present your idea in a way they have not done.

I'm just one voice in a mountain of advice here on YWS though. I think if you gave us a brief synopsis of your ideas, we could point out what We see you need to improve, and maybe even brain storm how to improve it.

OMG Thank you so much for answering, and I have been told already that, but it´s kinda difficult to do it. And also, when I have a good idea, I am not able to like write it and actually think is interesting (sometimes). But thank you soooooooooo much for your reply, it helped me A LOT! :D

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
— Samuel Butler