z

Young Writers Society

Three Ideas and No Clue Which One to Choose

Reviews: 0
Thu May 29, 2014 7:42 pm
wrenflyingaway says...

I currently have three story ideas. (Story ideas means I hope to make them a very long story.)
Here they are:
1: A City Made of Smoke
This story is about a male who can control fire named Hagan. There is a government facility that catches people like him (I need a name for people who can control the elements). The female main character is a girl named Ari. She is part of that government agency. She hunts down Hagan and his kind. I haven't figured out much. Heh heh. I know the ending, though. The city burns. (Obviously.)
2: Somewhere in the Middle of Nowhere
This story is one I haven't written much about. Sure, I have started the story bible (It's like...a document that has plot and characters) for this story. I want this to be a trilogy. I know it won't do that much, but I can't decide. It's about a girl who gets kicked out of her community. Her world is destroyed because of a disease called A14. A14 makes people go crazy. (Like 'Dark Inside') She has to run out in the barren Midwest.
3: The Great Divide (the title is a work in progress)
This story is about a girl who is the ruling leader. But no one knows that. The male main character is part of the slums. What makes this one different is the fact that the middle class doesn't exist. It's the Lower Slums, Upper Slums, Lower Skies, and Upper Skies. The middle class has been divided. It doesn't exist anymore. I don't know how to continue it. It was just an idea I had. I was thinking that the male main character somehow figures out a teen female is the ruling leader (pressumed male) of the country. That's all I got so far.

Well? I would like some help. I mean, I can't write all of them at once. I like focusing on one project, or my mind goes left and right. Willy-nilly. Please please please. I would love feedback. Thank you!
'Everyone is a reader...some just haven't found their favorite book yet.'
-Unknown

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Fri May 30, 2014 7:13 am
Deanie says...

Hey there!

If I were you I would go for the first idea because as it sounds, it seems like your most thought through and planned one. But if you have another that has been planned better, go for that one! It means you've dedicated more time to see where it is going to go as you write it, and you're already closer to the writing stage.

Another thing though, which one do you feel most drawn to? Think of which characters you like most, which plot draws you in, and which has you most itching to write! Usually excitement and the enjoyment of writing is what makes it all the better. So follow what your fingers want you to do :)
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Fri May 30, 2014 7:35 am
Blackwood says...

I see the second idea as having the most potential. However I don't see how you would make it a trilogy at all if you don't have any driving plot yet. I do like the setting.

The reason I say number 2 rather than the others is because.
Number 3:
Spoiler! :
You don't seem to have any sort of plot, just a sort of futurishtic setting that has been done before. I don't think a 'girl who is the ruler but no-one knows it' and this particular setting combine very well.

Number 1:
Spoiler! :
Hmmm... I don't see many problems rather more of a broader spectrum and how a city relates to it. I just feel Number two could be focused on easier as leave more room for a focus and developed plot as well as character developments.
(I'm going to start rambling about something slightly irrelevant now) I would also steer away from names like "Ari" if I was you. It yells out 'teenage female trying to be pretty' name. As much as writers like to give their characters such names, coming from a reader perspective it can often put off a reader if they have connotations like that. I know it's not my place to tell you about names, and that that isn't the type of feedback you are looking for, but in my opinion this name in particular is obscure enough to rake up these connotations, and having a similar but more common alternate such as Ellie or Erin or an ethnic equivalent if that is the case.

Anyway, of course these things are my opinion, but if I was you'd I'd go with 2. All of them seem to still need a bit of work on filling them in equally.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times; but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, till they take root in our personal experience.
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe