z

Young Writers Society

Having troubles with my Title

Reviews: 0
Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:05 pm
Allyn32 says...

Hi, I am new to this site and I have had a question about titles.
I have heard it all; Title first, figure out the title once your done, whenever it comes to you it comes to you.
I am about 2/3 of the way done with my book. Briefly its about James Anthony Deluca ( known as Tony), who is just getting back home from WWII. On arriving home he finds that his late father who past away while Tony was at war left a huge debt with from gambling for his family to pay off. The Santora Family agree to let Tony work off the debt. Tony finds out his childhood friend also works for this family and there are a lot of other little bits and characters that make it more dramatic. SOOOOOOOO, I am still not 100% on a title.
Here are some of my ideas.
1. Law Abiding Citizens: A Debt payed in full (sequel would be Law Abiding Citizens: Spilt Blood)
2. Wise Guys: a Debt payed in full (Sequel is the same.
3. Armed Civilians
4. Suggestions or ideas

Thanks for your comments and thoughts
Mickey was just an average Joe, a gentle hearted soul being praised for his brutality.

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:23 pm
Apricity says...

Hey Ally, I see you have title indecisive syndrome. Don't worry it happens to all of us, but the only way to find a title is actually you, yourself as the writer to discover an appropriate title. Because we don't know the little clogs and parts that makes your story tick, therefore we can't really choose an approximate title for you. And it is true, that it is better to choose the title after your novel is finishe as the title should always refer back to the book.

I liked the idea of your story, but I think you can come up with better titles once your book is finished, or is it finished already?

I know this isn't much help, but good titles, should always be chosen by the author and expresses the heart of the novel.

Best of luck in your writing!

-S.s
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

Reviews: 2
Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:25 pm
FourTris says...

When I come Home

285 Reviews

Reviews: 285
Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:40 pm
GreenTulip says...

1. The Blood Debts
Life works in funny ways sometimes. Some get hurt, others go through without a single bruise. I could tell so many stories of how I got each scar that is scattered across my flesh.

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:20 pm
OliveDreams says...

I really liked Armed Citizens!

I think it sounds interesting and links your story in with the war setting. I like the fact that it makes it clear that war doesn't always stop when you walk off the battlefield…

Good luck! :)
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon May 19, 2014 11:15 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

A good idea is to, after you finish your novel, analyze recurring motifs and themes. Map them out and find something that just sells your novel and ideas--even if it's not blindingly clever. Sometimes witty titles are just too much.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

Revision is one of the exquisite pleasures of writing.
— Bernard Malamud