z

Young Writers Society

What are you reading at the moment?

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:29 pm
_fallingstar_ says...

I just finished reading Mirror Mirror by Gregory Magurie. Not as good as Wicked, though, and the ending confused me. @_@

I'm also reading The Odyssey for school. We had to randomly chose book titles out of a hat, and that was the book that we had to read. I was so happy when I got this one! :D

"Noman is killing me by craft and not by main force!" XD
My high school senior mascot is a dragon. Take that, monkey!

Blackle.com--saving energy one search at a time.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:42 pm
smaur says...

I just finished Juliet Marillier's Son of the Shadows, despite the incredible urge to crack it against a wall. Ugh.

Right now, I'm going to start They Came to Baghdad (Agatha Christie), The Autiobiography of Malcolm X, and finish the Lucifer comic book I'm in the middle of.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon May 01, 2006 10:25 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

Well, I'm reading Dies the Fire by S. M. Stirling. It's a pretty good size novel, and after a week (of not so heavy reading) I'm approaching the halfway point. It's a very interesting idea and so far a well written story. The characters are unique and believable, which is a major plus. You should try it out some time. It gets you thinking.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon May 01, 2006 10:28 pm
you_really_suck says...

i'm reading a story my friend wrote. it's untitled at the moment but it's really good and LONG it's like 178 pages. she has a lot of time on her hands.
i'm also reading Romeo and Juliet for school
Meat is Murder

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue May 02, 2006 1:26 am
Clover Madison says...

I'm trying to read : Young Warriors - Stories of Strength edited by Tamora Pierce (whom I love) and Josepha Sherman if I could find time.

It's a collection of short stories about young warriors. Some of the stories are good but I've found I'm bored with most of them.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

"Life is like an hourglass glued to the table."

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue May 02, 2006 8:27 pm
Poor Imp says...

Jorge Luis Borges - a collection of all his short fiction, translated unfortunately - but my spanish isn't really up to the task of taking on his prose.

Lottery of Babylon is brilliant and hilarious.

(By the way, Clover - how are the short stories in that? My younger sister picked it up...but I've never liked Pierce, so...it rather put me off. ^_^'')
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue May 02, 2006 8:38 pm
Dream Deep says...

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.

I think it's brilliant, but Anna Karenina's better.

Hooyah.

I'm also reading some barely grammatical story I just wrote that's supposed to be my creative writing final and doesn't seem to be working out that way. :smt100

And it's totally lousy that Tolstoy writes the dialogue in french. They're russian for crying out loud! How cool is that! So why are they all talking FRENCH!!??

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue May 02, 2006 11:30 pm
Clover Madison says...

(By the way, Clover - how are the short stories in that? My younger sister picked it up...but I've never liked Pierce, so...it rather put me off. ^_^'')

I haven't read them all but they're not really worth it. Some of them are good but other ones are really dull. They're all entertaining but none of them are really worth reading or buying the book unless you really like fantasy but since your not a Pierce fan I wouldn't read it.

The Firebirds short story (fantasy) anthology is a better read. (Edited by Sharyn November <-- I so wish that was my last name). :)
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

"Life is like an hourglass glued to the table."

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu May 04, 2006 9:57 pm
stilltyping says...

I'm reading Vanity Fair by W M Thackeray. Fluff can be fascinating at times. I'm enjoying it.
///thanks.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu May 04, 2006 10:08 pm
Areida says...

I just finished Never Give In, about Winston Churchill, and it was a pretty good read. The section about his humour made me laugh. He was a funny dude. I mean, besides being dang awesome in many other respects. ;)

Not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I also finished To Kill A Mockingbird, and I loved it. It really was a sin that I hadn't read it until just now. It was just... amazing. I loved it.

Right now I'm starting Plutarch's Lives and I think I'm going to start The Great Divorce...
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri May 05, 2006 2:14 am
Sam says...

Oooh!

Oh, dear, looking at it now, I am indeed reading too many books at once...:P

Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson
Catch-22. by Joseph Heller
John Lennon: All I Want Is The Truth, by Elizabeth Partridge
The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russel

And I just started Paradise Lost...
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri May 05, 2006 2:36 am
Areida says...

Ooh, I'm dying to read Paradise Lost. It's on my massive list of to-read books. Lemme know what you think of it when you get done, Sambo. :mrgreen:
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri May 05, 2006 2:44 am
ScarletMornings says...

just finished romeo and juliet for school, unfortunately. it's so suicidal. i'm trying to start reading The Da Vinci Code, but so far haven't managed it...
"Maybe I wanted to hear it so badly that my ears betrayed my mind in order to secure my heart."
- Margaret Cho

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun May 07, 2006 4:30 am
Bjorn says...

Well about a week or so ago I finished 'The Dark Tide'(book one of the Iron Tower Trilogy) by Dennis McKiernan, and began reading Sir Thomas' King Arthur, well I just finished the chapter on Sir Lancelot and put the book down. Well here I am almost a week later and in front of me now is: The Balkans - Nationalism, War and the Great Powers, 1804-1999, by Misha Glenny (author of 'The Fall of Yugoslavia'). My heritage originating from the Balkan Peninsula, this book was an obvious target (actually, I was goign to get 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich', but I decided I'd get that after I'm done this). So far, and I'm 11 pages into the book, it is good. It is the dawn of the 19th century, and Ottoman rule in the Balkans is being undermined by nationalists and Turkish dissidents.
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun May 07, 2006 7:02 pm
Revere says...

At the moment, I just started reading To Kill A Mockingbird for the second time (my favourite book of all time), and am about 1/3 of the way through Harry Potter 5, and 1/3 of the way through Larry's Party, by Carol Shields.
"[Maybe] If they don't light it, it can never go out."
^Mary, from Heat

>Previously known as green_river<

I would rather die of passion than of boredom.
— Émile Zola