z

Young Writers Society

At what age did you start writing and

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:56 am
Teague says...

The first story I ever wrote... I think I was either four or five.

It was supposed to be an autobiographical story for like, first grade or something. I thought my life was too boring so I made up a story about why I moved to Delaware. It spun a magical tale about my house burning down and we had to come live with a friend.

In truth, my dad got transferred to Delaware from Arizona.

Imagine my parents' surprise when my teacher told them she was sorry about our house fire! :lol:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:00 am
Alice says...

change to my first responce: i first started writing decently for my age was in 3rd or 4th grade. I've been writing for my whole life, even when i could only scribble I'd pretend they were words...wow i've been a dork my whole life. Yay writing dorks!!!
I just lost the game.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:51 am
chocoholic says...

change to my first responce: i first started writing decently for my age was in 3rd or 4th grade. I've been writing for my whole life, even when i could only scribble I'd pretend they were words...wow i've been a dork my whole life. Yay writing dorks!!!

author13, I did the exact same thing. Go writing dorks!

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:26 am
Esmé says...

quote (RS):
Imagine my parents' surprise when my teacher told them she was sorry about our house fire!
Lol xD

author13: I totally agree!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:59 pm
Areida says...

I've always been writing, even if it was just journaling. The first story I can recall writing was when I was about four, and it was inspired by a picture of Princess Jasmine that I was coloring in a coloring book. I kept asking my mom how to spell Jasmine over and over and over, until finally she wouldn't tell me anymore and so I gave up the story. I couldn't write fast enough to suit myself. Still can't, actually. :P

I started writing longer stories (but never really finishing them) from age 8 till I was about 14, and then I discovered fanfiction and started writing more regularly. I started writing seriously when I was fifteen, around the time I joined YWS. I thought for a year (from spring of freshman year till spring of sophomore year) that I wanted to write novels for a living, but after doing a NaNoWriMo-eque thing in March, changed my mind. Seriously, who am I kidding? I am definitely not enough self-motivated to cut it. Hehe.

Now I write because I love it. I have tons of projects, some complete, some incomplete, but I rarely feel totally finished with anything. That's my darling, incessant inner editor at work. :P
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:10 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

I started when I was about nine, I think, maybe eight, and my first story was about a boy called Jeff, and a gnome who turned into a human.I'm pretty sure I threw my first stories notebook out and I really regret it. Warning to anyone thinking of doing this: Don't, you'll regret it. It doesn't matter how awful your first attempts are.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:50 pm
fothi says...

Omg... I don't even remember when I started writing... I started reading around 3 or 4 so I guess around then? I kept a journal by kindergarten and then I attempted a novel in the fourth grade (lol I still have it. It's so bad.). When do you "start"? I don't think I ever "started" at one point.
~Faith T

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:17 pm
Fishr says...

Outside of school, I began to write seriously at twelve years old. Late bloomer, I know. I also liked editing other's work too. Oldest I've taken on was a non-fiction piece by a thirty-four year old women. In my younger years (1-11), I was too busy fishing, hiking, exploring and basically tromping around forest until dark, and freaking my mom out. Most of the time though, I was fishing. My dad taught me as soon I was able to walk.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:55 am
Lynlyn says...

I was five. I had just seen the movie "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" and I was absolutely thrilled with it. I went home and wrote a story about it, it went something like this:

The mouse finds a motocycle
the mose is happy
the mouse rides the motocycle
the motosycle rides the mouse
the mouse and the motocyle are happy!

It was fully illustrated too. I then wrote a sequel called "The dinosaur and the motorcycle" which had a similar plot format: the dinosaur found the motorcycle, the dinosaur took a ride on the motorcycle, the motorcycle took a ride on the dinosaur, and the dinosaur and the motorcycle were happy. So, basically, I've been attributing human thoughts and feelings to inanimate things since I was five, it's nothing new.

The first time I actually wrote out a chapter story with actual description and dialogue was when I was in third grade, something about a doll being broken, and then it came alive and attacked people...

Yeah, I was a pretty disturbed kid.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:12 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Dang.

That's pretty hard.

I've been writing for, I guess, as long as I've lived. Or, at least, when I started to write.

Since when I was 3 or 4 years old, all I could speak was Chinese. It was pretty hard on me when I moved to an English-speaking community and I had to learn it by myself, so yeah.

I remember my first major story was like some 9-paged story about this girl named Kaida and it was inspired by a picture my kindergarten teacher gave to me.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:16 am
piepiemann22 says...

Well, at least a year truly writting, but..... I guess since I hit 4-5 grade. My first book was for ... I think 4th grade? Any way, It was called the Bully Problem. It was about 20 pages. My teacher was suprised I wrote that much and i was forced to shorten it to 10 pages.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:27 am
Meep says...

I've always been telling stories. I had loads of imaginary friends, and so I played with them and made up their stories and everything, even before I could actually write it down.

One of the first of these stories that I remember was about a prince and a princess. I made paper puppets and told everyone who'd listen about their daily lives.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:49 pm
Rhea says...

I've kept a journal since my grandmother's death when I was 4. I still have that first journal too. It's odd.

I wrote a saga, spanning several little stories, about a magical cat. I spelled it "majikl" though. I was 5.

Good times.
http://oddgoddess.blogspot.com/
I love my blog.

"Better to be unborn than untaught, for ignorance is the root of all misfortune."
..........Plato

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:42 am
Fan says...

I wrote my first serious story at ten. It was about royal twins whose kingdom gets invaded by their ally and their father is killed fighting.

And when Fire Emblem 2 came out on GBA a year later, the storyline was shockingly familiar. *looks around suspiciously*

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:09 am
Alice says...

Yeah i started writing decently in the 3rd or 4th grade, which i already said, but I didn't say what my first story was about! It was about this mom telling this girl a story about when she was like seven and her and some of her friends ended up in a closet/portal thingey having to fight a weird monster thing and their lives. It was based on a dream and a neopets thing ^.^
I just lost the game.

Too often we crave the extraordinary in life, without even learning how to cherish the ordinary first. Friend, I promise you this: if you can learn to take joy in the simple mundane things in life, the extraordinary will take care of itself, it'll be on its way, hurrying towards you. But if you skip the first part, it'll ever evade you.
— Arcticus