z

Young Writers Society

Top 5 Best Books

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:14 am
Areida says...

In no particular order:

*The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis. They never fail to make me laugh and cry with every re-reading. Lewis is an amazing writer.

*A Wrinkle In Time, Madeline L'Engle. I love her writing; I love this book. I was assigned to read it in sixth grade, read it one night, cried at the end, and have loved it ever since.

* The Bible. Trite but true. The sometimes poetic, other times concise language is fantastic, the message awes, the stories are great. And I'll be darned if it doesn't offer wisdom up the wazoo.

*Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen. I have three sisters, so the big Bennet family appeals to me just for that aspect. Austen is so witty, and her characters are so-well developed. I read it back in November and have loved it ever since.

*The Mark of the Lion series, Francine Rivers. I've read them about five times each and I'm still completely in love with the story and the characters.

And if I could top ten, The Giver would have made it, along with Little Women, Ella Enchanted, Till We Have Faces, Harry Potter, and An Unquiet Mind.

I love books so much. *snugs the books sitting next to me*
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:23 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

backgroundbob wrote:Tigana, The Lions of Al-Rassan and The Sarantine Mosaic by Guy Gavriel Kay. Kay is an absolutely immense author: if you're into historical fiction, read him, because they're all based very closely on real-life historical events. In fact, read him anyway: I was never much of a history man, but the two Sarantine books leave me physically shaking by the time I'm finished, they're so powerful.

The Once and Future King by T.H. White. It's a collection of five books, based on the Mallory (tale of King Arthur); White, however, has put an entirely new spin on it, turning it into an incredibly rich, deep political and philosophical fable. The characters are completely atypical of your expectations for the Arthur legend, and some of the imagination and exploration is breathtaking.

- Amen to that! My The Once and Future King fell apart last year... and I went and bought two copies, and I found at a boot sale The Book of Merlyn which is like a sequel to TOAFK, haven't had a chance to read it. The Lions of Al-Rassan was the first of Kay's books that I picked up, and it has remained on my favorites since, that must have been four or five years ago. I got it in a used book store cause the cover was pretty.

One day I might write up all the books that are on my short list, which is actually pretty long...

I commend you choice of reading, Bob! :D
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:27 am
Boni_Bee says...

In no order...

The Bible
A Fortunate Life (AB Facey)
An Anzacs Story (Roy Kyle)
The Laura Ingalls Wilder Series (I'm not kidding)

And there was this really good book but I can't remember the Author or the title :?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:51 am
Jiggity says...

I am totally disgusted. Have none of you read The Wars of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts? Thats definetly on my Top 5.
As is Lord of the Rings[i],
[i]Magician
(and everyother book) by Raymond.E.Feist Shame on you if you havent read that classic.

Those are the only definites on my list, otherwise its constantly shifting. I do vaguely recall Reading Tad Williams the Dragonbone Throne (not sure if thats correct) the lingering sense I have is that it was a sweeping epic. So yeah that good. Tales of the Otori. Ooh and Sarah Douglas' The Axis Trilogy and The Troy Game both extremely recommendable. Anansi Boys...Okay I better shutup before I ramble on forever.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:17 am
Crayon says...

1. The tomorrow books by John Marsden (all seven and the two Ellie Cronicals)
2. All books by Brain Falkener (just cause he's my Author crush lmao)
*runs away to read some more impressive books*
oh and little women, i love it!
Trying to survive "sweet sixteen."
---
<love> is sweet -suicide- and {[you]} are my LATEST a.t.t.e.m.p.t

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:44 am
cuteape says...

1. Harry Potter . . . J.K. Rowling
2. Enders Game, Orson Scott Card
3. Enders shadow, Orson Scott Card
4. Chronicles Of Narnia, C.S. Lewis
5. Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare

Well, there's more, but these are my top five.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:24 am
Azrael says...

Hmm...let's see...
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (the others were great too, but this one is the best)
The Chronicles of Narnia (they're all to great)
Flowers for Algernon
The Cats of Tiffany Street (I know it's like, twelve pages long, but I've always loved that book)
Dribbles (once again, a 2nd grader book, but I love it so much. I cried after I read it the first three times.)
The Bible is great too, of course. But is consists of a lot of other books, and I haven't really read one whole book yet. Another great book (that I am currently reading, but it's really good) is Paradise Lost.

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:42 am
hekategirl says...

NO! I can't pick FIVE! jeez, I've read too many books. OK here is some of my favorites:

No order:

1: His Dark Materials Series--Phillip Pullman (The Amber Spyglass (3) was the best in that series) How can you not love these books?? you deserve a good psycihitrist if you do not like them

2: Jacob Have I Loved--Kathrine Paterson: AMAZING story, the image of Rass Island she gave was incredible.

3: The Giver--Lois Lowry: Gathering Blue was great too, that new one "Messenger" I'm not so sure about...

4: Abarat--Clive Barker: If you haven't read this you must.

5: The Gahsly Crumb Tinies--Edward Gorey: :lol: *Doubles over with laughter* I love Edward Gorey, if you read him you will too.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:44 am
Twitch111 says...

It is hard to decide, and I will have to put some series not the books themselves. I can't put them in order, because they are all so awsome.

1. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

2. I am Morgan le Fay by Nancy Springer

3. The Sight by David Clement-Davies

4. The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud

5. Fire Bringer by David Clement-Davies

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:04 am
AstrangedbeaR says...

In no particular order :-

1. Tell Me No Lies - Malorie Blackman
deception, manipulation and bribary, i love it. i must have read this when i was about fifteen, the first book i picked up at the library when i got a refreshed library card

2. The Autograph Man - Zadie Smtih
it's odd why i like this book, it's extremley different from the others i have read, and bounces on judaiasm and obsession

3. Krazy 4 U - A. Bates
this is part of the "point horror" classiscs. i read this along with a whole load of others when i was young, about twelve and this sticks in my memory, plus it's of my favourites

4. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
it's pretty sad and emotional, and for a first time author, its excellent

5. White Teeth - Zadie Smith
there was alot of hype about this book in the media. i didnt see what all the fuss was about, but when i read it i thought yeah, this is really good, the characters are so alive
*AstrangedbeaR*

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:09 am
BustedFlush says...

1. The Sun also Rises by Hemingway
2. The Hobbit by Tolkien
3. The Teeth of the Tiger by Clancy
4. The Black Tulip by Milt Bearden
5. To Have and Have Not by Hemingway

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:58 am
dele24 says...

My favorite book is often the one I've just read (in this case The Horse Whisperer), but my favorite books of all time are:

1) The bible - ok i haven't finished it yet, but I have gotten up to Isaiah which is over half but i do plan to read it all.
2) Misty of Chincotegue (ok I don't know how to spell it) - I absolutely loved this book when I was in primary school
3) Alpha Force series by Chris Ryan - These books are great I have read them all bar two which arent in my library yet but I will have to roder them from other libraries (on my little brothers card so i don't have to pay)
4) Sky dabcer by Witi Ihimaera
5) The Bronze Horseman and The Bridge Over Holy Waters by Paulina Simmons

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:41 pm
Julri says...

In no particular order...

1. Slaughterhouse Five (or Cat's Cradle...)
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
3. A Great and Terrible Beauty
4. Lord of the Rings
5. The Harry Potter Series

But, there are a lot of others that I like just as much or that I haven't finished yet, so this isn't a definite list. Still, those books are pretty awesome!

Peace! :D
Don't let the turkeys get you down!

Random avatar

Reviews: 99
Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:09 am
Niamh says...

I agree with The Giver being amazing; I wouldn't call it my favorite, but it is definitely something I liked. I'm not a real fantasy-science fiction fan, but I think the reason I liked The Giver so much is because the world Jonas lived in was similar, less extreme in some ways, and more extreme in others, to a totalitarian government, which the world has seen countless times. It also interests me how it deals with absolute discovery: Jonas' discovery of color. Really, it's a brilliant concept.

I think my 5 of favorite books (or series) (though I can't choose just 5) would be, in no particular order:

1- Though I said I don't like fantasy, I do love the Harry Potter series. Especially book six.

2- Black Potatoes (I don't know the author) was one of the most informative, yet enjoyable things to read about the Great Famine.

3- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Only, the end with the court case, and the man's death (I can't remember his name, it's been a year since I read it) is tragic, and very sad to read. But everyone should read it.

4- Folktales and Myths of Ireland by Jeremiah Curtin. This collection of the folklore of Ireland is so great, because it was collected by Jeremiah Curtin in the 1800s, saving these stories that would have otherwise passed out of knowledge.

5- An Introduction to Viking Mythology by John Grant. It gives the reader a very good understanding of the Norse beliefs, and the writing is lively, with his own opinions intertwined in the telling.

Man, there's many more, and it was hard to choose what to put on the list.
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself." -- Declaration of Arbroath

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:48 pm
WarthogDemon says...

In no particular order:

1. Girl In The Box
(author unknown)

2. Bridge To Terabithia*
Katherine Patterson

3. I, Q
Peter David

4. Modoc
(author unknown)

5. The University
Bentley Little

*Looking back, I'm wondering if that book quite possibly scared me when I read it. There have been times where I've worried about my friends now, even if there's nothing wrong.

The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
— Harold Coffin