z

Young Writers Society

Recommend your favorite book

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:29 am
endless_secrets says...

Here are a few if you are into fantasy or romance.

Twilight series and the Host, Stephenie Meyer
Mortal Instruments series, Cassandra Clare
Tithe, Ironside and Valiant by Holly Black
Midnighters series
LOTR - of course
House of Night series, P.C Cast
Blue Bloods series, Melissa De La Cruz

Mostly Urban fantasy, enjoy!
Always and forever an endless secret...
Visit my blog! leamckee.blogspot.com!

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:36 am
jules4848 says...

Tortall Books by Tamora Pierce...this includes....

The Lioness Quartet
The Immortals Quartet
Protector of the Small Quartet
Tricksters Choice and Tricksters Queen
Terrier and Bloodhound.

My sister introduced me to Tamora Pierce's books two years ago since then I have read several of her books more then once. Mainly the Lioness Quartet and the Protector of the Small Quartet. I love her stories, especially because she has female heroes.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

The Kingdom of Bone and Thorn Series by Greg Keyes...includes...

The Briar King
The Charnel Prince
The Blood Knight
The Born Queen

These books are on the adult side, but the way Greg Keyes writes will blow you away. He manages to intertwine six different stories into one and make them all work. His books blow me away. He has also written Star Wars branches so if you like star wars look for greg keyes.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

HAPPY READING
-Jules
Searching For An Explanations...
http://www.realityhitchhiker.blogspot.com/

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:05 am
Jiggity says...

For brilliant fantasy - and I am currently reading the greatest epic fantasy series ever written (far eclipsing Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, or other notables such as the Riftwar Saga). It is by Steven Erikson - it begins with Garden of the Moon and the series is called 'A Tale of the Malazan Book of Fallen'.

For thrillers - I don't read much of this but the very first one I read happened to be the very best and it is entitled 'The Analyst' by John Katzenbach.

For classics - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and The Portrait of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde.

For the best of contemporary, urban fantasy - Neil Gaiman; any of his stories, in any format, will blow you away.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

59 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 59
Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:20 am
Fye says...

Oh, I forgot to recommend few more books: Try books by Mitch Albom. They're short but worth reading. His books are very into the whole life scenario thing. Makes you think and portrays a lot of emotion. I've read The Five People You Meet In Heaven and For One More Day, my favourite being the latter. I have yet to read Tuesdays With Morrie.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:37 am
deleted2 says...

My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult

(Absolutely amazing, I promise you you won't get bored reading this; it really draws the reader in.)

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

(Awesome :wink: )

The Giver - Louis Lowry

(Really short; but really good. Read this book in 6th grade English haha :P)

XxxDo

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:19 pm
Alainna says...

I second 'My Sister's Keeper'. Picoult's other books aren't as good, but MSK really hooked me and I couldn't put it down.

'The Butterfly Tattoo' by Philip Pullman. Just a great book that I don't think I'll ever grow out of.

'His Dark Materials Trilogy' also by Pullman. They change the way you think.

'Kate's Story' by Billy Hopkins. Based on real events, this book made me grow up. Just a great read.

xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:27 pm
Matt3187 says...

I highly reccomend both the Emperor and Conqueror series by Conn Iggulden.

One focuses on the life of Ceaser and the other uncompleted series on Genghis and the Mngols.

As well as being a fascinating read- with a mixture of action,adveture and suspense they were particularly interesting to me as i have a interest in history.

Reccomended for anyone inparticular those who enjoy historically based fiction.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:43 pm
BigBadBear says...

His Dark Materials was very mind blowing. Although, I never could finish the last book because of obvious reasons. But the Golden Compass and the Subtle Knife blew me away.

I recommended the Wicked Years. They include:

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Son of a Witch

A Lion Among Men.

These are all by Gregory Maguire. Very, very well written with everything you could want. And I don't like fantasy at all, but this is much more than fantasy. It's Oz.

Even though they are for littler children, I love the Series of Unfortunate Events. I was about 10-12 when I read them all (I have a copy of every single one!) and I was hooked on them. They are very addicting. I read them all a few months ago, again, and I realized that there is much more to the stories than what meets the eye. Much darker themes that I ever realized. Read them.

Anything by Steven King, really. He's amazing, and my horror hero.

House of Leaves changed my life. I won't say anything else other than it's the scariest book I've ever read. It's like 700 pages, and I read it in three days. You cannot put it down.

Da Vinci Code & Angels and Demons were pretty good! A little bit predictable, but still pretty good.

Maximum Ride, as stated somewhere above, is a really addicting series. I never did read the last one, though.

That's all I can think of right now. Sorry for hogging up the page. Haha.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:12 am
Aspen says...

Pearls of Lutra-Brian Jacques
Salamandastron-Brian Jacques
The Long Patrol-Brian Jacques
Taggerung-Brian Jacques

Eragon-Christopher Paolini
Eldest-Christopher Paolini
Brisingr-Christopher Paolini

Into the Wild-Erin Hunter

Those are just a few of my faves. Haha, I could take up a whole book writin' em down.
Only when a beast has done wrong has he earned the name vermin.

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:44 am
Angel of Death says...

If you're looking for a book with culture, word savvy, and just plain old historic romantic greatness, then you must read. I am Rembrandt's Daughter by Lynn Cullen.

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:01 pm
Stori says...

Oh wow, a fellow Redwall fan. I'm reading Mossflower right now. :D

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:16 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesia by Gabrielle Zevin

If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince? by Melissa Kantor

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares

The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares

The Truth About Forever

Keeping the Moon

Lock and Key

This Lullaby

...Pretty much everything by Sarah Dessen.

I like contemporary books like that. These are just a few off the top of my head.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:31 pm
Theodorable says...

A Great and Terrible Beauty- Libba Bray
Reble Angels-Libba Bray
The Sweet Far Thing- Libba Bray
This is a series that I fell in love with instantly. It deals with magic and it is set in England around 1896 so if you like a romance filled with mystery, you'll love this series. And of course the Twilight sereis by Stephenie Meyers. (I just had to)
Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole. -Dean, Supernatural

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:10 pm
niteowl says...

The Historian-Elizabeth Kostova-It's got adventure, suspense, romance, mystery, and vampires! What more could you ask for?

Sword-Dancer-Jennifer Roberson-An obscure fantasy adventure I found once browsing in the teen section of my library. It got hard to track down some of its sequels, but it was well worth it. Has all of the above plus magic plus sword-fighting minus the vampires.

American Gods-Neil Gaiman-One of my absolute favorites. Thrilling, complex, unique, funny at times. Always find something new every time I re-read it.

Good Omens-Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett-"The funniest novel about the apocalypse you will ever read." Clive Barker. So true. Speaking of Clive...

Abarat-Clive Barker. Excellent young adult fantasy about a girl who discovers a magical world on the outskirts of her boring town.

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series)-Louise Renison-For the teenage girl looking for a quick, fun, read, this is awesome. Absolutely hilarious!

Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix and Abhorsen series by Garth Nix. I'm slightly obsessed with Garth Nix because he is an amazing fantasy author.

The Hollow Kingdom by Claire Dunkle-Excellent fantasy trilogy about a girl who is kidnapped by goblins and becomes part of their world.

Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear-I chose this for an essay I had to write in freshman year, and it was wonderful (although writing the paper nearly sucked the awesomeness out). It's about what might happen if the next stage of human evolution were to start now.

1984-George Orwell-Classic sci-fi novel, truly amazing and thought-provoking.

That's all for now, but there are so many others. I love reading. :D
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:40 am
Kylan says...

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.

Brilliant characters and style. One for the ages.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

No one is perfect; not even your reflection.
— Chalkboard Words