z

Young Writers Society

Your opinion of Paolini....

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu May 17, 2007 4:56 pm
Firestalker says...

I admit that I like both books (Eragon better than Eldest) but-

WHY THE HECK IS ALMOST EVERYONE CRITICIZING POALINI????

Eragon was one of the best fantasy books (Excluding H.P)I've ever read.

give me 10 full proof reasons why you dislike his books and more importantly himself

reply immediately!!!!!!!!!

The only thing to fear is fear it self
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu May 17, 2007 5:23 pm
Sureal says...

What's with the demand?

Anyway, if you just read this thread, you'll see why many people here have a low opinion of him and his books. But, here are the ten more common reasons:

1. Lack of origionality in setting,
2. Lack of origionality is plot,
3. Lack of origionality in characters,
4. Flat characters,
5. Lack of empathy for protagonist,
6. Use of purple prose,
7. A number of gaping plot holes,
8. Predictable plot,

And I've run out, although others may be able to carry the list on.
I wrote the above just for you.

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Thu May 17, 2007 5:45 pm
Saphira says...

I actually really like both Eragon and Eldest! (can you tell?!) but reading through lots of peoples opinions on the books i can see where they are coming from.

But i still like the books!

~Saphira~
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Thu May 17, 2007 7:36 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

9. Mary-Sue protagonists
10. Stupid language
(based off "Norse", AKA "Tolkein's language")
ohmeohmy

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Fri May 18, 2007 1:54 pm
Ofour says...

11. Such an enormous anti-Eragon community tells me that his books can't exactly be amazing.
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri May 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Kylan says...

I agree with everything said here. I think young Paoloni has something going for him, but his overwhelming description and flood of obscure words from the far reaches of the dictionary are a bit much. I think, however, he has presented a semi-unique "magic system" in his second book (which in my opinion was millions of miles ahead of his first.) I also tried the other day to pick up the second book again but stopped reading after the handy synopsis he puts at the beginning of the book. If a story is so complex that the reader can't remember it by the time the sequel comes out - and needs a synopsis - the author should seriously consider "dumbing" it down a little. I don't know if my comments ring true with any of you, but these are my feelings.

But in some way, I think this thread only exists because we're all a little jealous that chistopher got the book deal and we didn't... :wink: Think about that...

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri May 18, 2007 3:01 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

That too. :sighs:
We're all extremely jealous. :P
ohmeohmy

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat May 19, 2007 4:46 am
Elelel says...

Uh ... why are we all attacking the poor guy? He wrote some books, they weren't the most amazing books ever, but they were quite popular ... why is it such a big deal? You can almost always find a really bad book among the bestsellers. No point in taking it personally.

I liked Eragon. And I'm not going to say I then reread something and found that it sucked, because that didn't happen. I quite liked it from when I started reading it, and I still don't really mind it. The character Eragon annoys me a bit, but main characters often annoy me so that's hardly out of the ordinary.

I didn't like Eldest much. Mainly because there were lots of elves. I have a thing about Tolkien elves. They annoy me unless they're in LOTR. Arrogant ba-- creatures. I didn't actually finish Eldest. I couldn't take anymore of the elves. But I skipped to the end, to the Murtagh bit. I could expect the sibling thing, but I still think it's pretty cool that Murtagh got a dragon. Poor guy deserved one.

But I still don't get why everyone must bash Pauloni if they didn't like the books. There are many books I don't like and I don't bash the authors constantly.

I mean, looking at the situation as a writer, I'd have to say it's fantastic that he's getting kids to read.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat May 19, 2007 5:42 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

To be honest when I read part of Eragon (I never finished it for complicated reasons) I like it. Then when I joined YWS I saw a lot of what people had to say about how Eragon was basically a rip off of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and then I could start to see how they were right. Ever since I have looked down on those series.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat May 19, 2007 6:10 am
The Box says...

it is not in your right--Everyone, to make fun of this man.

he is cool and has a book published. you have no right. who are you? you don't have any right. he has a book published. you have no right. you have no right.

[/sarcasm]

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sat May 19, 2007 8:49 am
Shadowsun says...

I like the books but I didn't really notice that mant things in the books are... lets say 'similar' to other thing in other boooks/films.

After reading the thread I came up with this:

A tall person garbed entirely in black stepped out of the shadows, breathing heavily. He turns and faces the person, hanging of the edge of a cliff. "Eragon, what did Obi-wan... um I mean... What did Brom tell you about your brother?"

"He told me that you killed him! Wait... I mean, What brother?"

"Eragon, I am your brother."

"NOOOO!!!"

"Join me Eragon, and together we can rule the galaxy... Rule alagaesia together as brothers!"

"I'll never join you!" Eragon lets go and falls down into the mist....

~ Shadowsun :D
Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Then who cares? You're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat May 19, 2007 10:14 am
Cpt. Smurf says...

He he he! That would be the perfect ending! Well, it would have been the perfect beginning, but oh well.

And the reason we dislike him so, Elelel, is because his books lack any originality whatsoever, in both plot and world concepts, so much so that they come dangerously close to plagiarism. There are other reasons, but I'm not going to elaborate, as you need only read this thread to see what it is that makes him so... unlikeable. It's not that we simply don't like his books, there are many books we don't like, maybe because of the style they're written, etc. but there are many reasons for our dislike of Eragon and Paolini, which go far beyond the reasons of simply style.

-Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sat May 19, 2007 1:37 pm
JC says...

Box,
he is cool and has a book published. you have no right. who are you? you don't have any right. he has a book published. you have no right. you have no right.

Freedom of speech is our right, and if you've read the thread you'll also know our reason. You don't have to agree with what everybody says, you don't even have to consider it as a possiblility. It's simply a matter of opinion to many people here, and thats what this thread is about: Opinion. Hence the TITLE (Your Opinion of Paolini not Lets destroy this guy just because we can and it's fun!)

Hope that cleared up our rights to say what we want.

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat May 19, 2007 2:13 pm
The Box says...

The Box, at the end of his post wrote:[/sarcasm]

I'm sorry. I blame the internet.

But if you'd like to know, there was a time when I was jealous of him. Now, that time no longer exists since I can easily find topics like this on spreading over the internet like wildfire.

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sun May 20, 2007 5:20 am
JC says...

It's a hard sarcasm for me to catch. My apologies Box.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

Pigeon poop is the best way to solve problems.
— Pompadour