z

Young Writers Society

At what age did you start writing and

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:26 am
Arri says...

lol what awesome thread, My first story was in the 3rd grade who found a gold coin that granted all of his wishes, and eventually he became so obsessed with the coin that it encompassed his life more than anything he ever wished for o: It went something like...

"There was a man who found a gold coin that granted all his wishes."
"Eventually he wished so much he had no reason to want to do anything but wish."
"He wished for riches and prosperity on earth."
"His children grew famous and his wife became tired of him."
"He died with his coin his hands and all of his children wondering where he had gone."
"A boy found the coin and threw it into a well in hopes of getting a wish himself."

Haha my teacher thought I was crazy because it sounded pretty sad. I still have that little book downstairs.

Random avatar

Reviews: 150
Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:37 am
200397 says...

Once, in fourth grade, I wrote a three chapter story for my English class called "The Princess Contest" about how a bunch of princesses had to win a series of contests to prove she was the one for the bachelor prince. Not original, I know, but one of my friends read it and said, "Wow. This is good. You should write more."

So I did. Fifth grade came around, and I was still in my cocoon, resulting in three different stories that all sprung from the same idea and ended in disaster when I began to grow up. (Things like elemental powers and magic stones, that kind of children's writing.) They lasted till the end of sixth grade, when I came down with the flu and had a Come-to-Jesus moment, when I decided I needed to become more mature in my writing.

Then I read Sunshine by Robin McKinley, and there came the vampires. I started out with "Karmilla Sinister" and, four years and countless efforts, drafts, and rewrites, I ended up with Amaranthine, a soon to be full-length novel, and my pride and joy. :)

If I had known I would have ended up here, so confident and powerful in writing, I would have complained a lot less along the way. :lol:

~Sunny

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:37 am
Bittersweet says...

I began when I was six. I remember the day when I began to write clearly. :P

It was entitled "Red Ruby". It was about a girl and her friend who found a cave that her grandfather had told her stories of. Inside, there was a ruby. The ruby enabled the two girls to teleport wherever they wished, by saying "Ruby" ten times. xD But there was random secret security people who disabled the two girls from getting the ruby, but in the end, they got it. I printed it out and illustrated it. My parents were so proud of me. I must admit, though it sucked, it was really good for a... 1st grader? Anyway, my dad made a bunch of copies and made it into a little book. Upon my wishes, he even sent it to a publisher, though he knew no one would ever publish it. xD
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:46 pm
Sare Agama says...

I wrote a stupid story/poem that was half a page long with double spacing. >.< Then my dad read it aloud to a poetry group of his. I was in second grade at the time. I had written better in Kindergarten!
Your monthly Bible quote: "Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are decietful." Proverbs 27:6

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:53 pm
Linx says...

I never wrote much until about two years ago when I wrote my first poem. I was in 5th grade, which means I was 11 years old.
I wrote a lot of poetry and then we had a writing project last year in school.

That's why I'm a writer now, is because of that class.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:17 am
How2EataRhesus says...

When I was six or so I began a story about a fairy princess who had no wings. :D

About half a page into it (which is a lot of writing indeed when you're only six and don't know how to change the font size to something larger than ten-point) our computer crashed, and all evidence of the story was destroyed. Not sure that's a bad thing, either. :]
'Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.' - Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:46 am
TexanWriter says...

I wrote little things like "The girl who did note lik to tak baths" when i was... Oh, five or six? But I seriously started writing about a year ago. And that story stunk, too. I've gotten better!:)
Religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:45 am
.:Elf:. says...

I wrote short stories since I was 6 or 7. Mainly about cats or other animals. When I was 10 I decided to write something 'real' and so started my very crzy story about a group of tigers trying to defeat the evil jaguar. I'm still very cat crazy, though dont write about them much. Then last year I started a FanFic with my friend. We never got very far, but making the new character was fun. And then I stopped for a while, just felt that my writing was pretty bad. from then on out i tried to learn more about plotting and characters and all that good stuff. Well NaNoWriMo came and I did it! Now I am rewriting the entire thing!

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:03 am
PhoenixBishop says...

I started in the 3rd grade. Of course my first book idea was crap. It was about the world being taken over by aliens, and the government used clones to battle them. The worst part was that clones were made form the donor being inject with a virus, and then they would throw up.The vomit would form into a person and you got a clone.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:00 am
kiwiauthor_13 says...

Hey.

I started seriously writing when I was nine. I was in grade six and we had to write a SHORT story for assesment. Mine turned out to be like TWELVE Pages long and I didn't get to finish it. lol. It was the biggest in the class.

The first book I wrote was the Locket of Aribia. It was supposed to be the first book of a trilogy but then I got this other idea and started writing it. Iw rote it when I was eleven and twelve. It didn't take me long; about four months or so. When I look back at it now, it seems really lame and I think of so many things I could improve on.

I'm now writing two books; The Crystal Chronicles/The Campbell Orphans and My Guardian Angel. They are both very different. My inspiration for the Orphans one came from Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga, but there are NO vampires or werewolves. lol

kiwi
SHOOT FOR THE MOON AND IF YOU MISS YOU'LL LAND AMONGST THE STARS!!!!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:13 pm
Hotaru-Kun says...

I first started writing when I was five. It was about a girl who got left on the side of the road... Good stuff.
Sometimes you have to look beyond what you see, if that fails... Just listen to Cher.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:01 am
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

I was eight or nine I believe. The story was about twins named Erica and Eric, they always fought and then realized they loved each other. Aww!
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:59 am
Evi says...

I used to carry around my little pony notepad and would write in an ilegible scrawl about Nancy Drew and the Mystery of Barrel Bay, where her friend Julia was kidnapped. Later on I wrote a 30-page epic novel about six super-spies/wizards/bestfriends/princesses who saved the world.

Man, if any of us ever get published and make it big, those stories are going to be worth fortunes. ^_^
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:10 am
MeadowLark says...

I actually began to enjoy writing and used my imagination more in grade 6. Twelve years old.

It was an assignment for English and it was about these three farm kids who went on a 'quest' to find their stolen ponies. It was set in the 1800's, so horse stealing was pretty common. Although the punishment was usually hanging o_O

They did get their horses back but some parts were pretty phony. But can you expect? I didn't care and I got a good mark on it ^_^
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:37 am
Eliza:) says...

I either started writing in first grade or sixth grade, depending on how you consider it.

The first story I wrote was in first grade (which means I was six at the time.) It was about a evil wolf who was defeated by some guy. (Sounds original, right?)

I first got serious about writing in sixth grade. In my computer class, there would be days where everyone would write a story from a writing prompt. My teacher liked mine and told me to keep writing. I did and now I'm actually kind of good at writing.

Talk about changing someone's life. :)
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
-Ernest Hemingway

Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief