14%
No, it's fine
52%

Total votes : 29

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:17 pm
Supermal says...

Everyone has it, but nobles have slightly more power.
~Michelle~
Who needs friends when you've just bought a brand new pen?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:04 pm
zelithon says...

OH SNAP.

Have you heard of Charly Bone? Your leaning towards that...I hate Charly Bone. :P
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

43 Reviews

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:54 pm
Supermal says...

Never heard of it- I'll have to look it up :D But I've you hate it then perhaps I'll have to work on it a bit more :P
~Michelle~

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:19 am
smaur says...

See, the thing is that at some point, someone somewhere will always compare you to another writer. No matter how well you write, no matter how amazing and fresh and original your ideas are, chances are there will always be some other writer, obscure or famous, that you can and will be compared to. Some comparisons are more obvious than others (Eragon and Lord of the Rings, but only because the former is a cheap rewrite of the latter) but for the love of god don't worry about it.

Make the story your own, but don't try so hard to avoid being compared to other writers. Chances are that it will at some point happen, not because you're not an amazingly original writer — which I'm sure you are — but because people do that. Don't worry about it and keep writing. (And maybe, maybe when you're done the story, if someone can write a lengthy, articulate essay on how your work is a rip-off of Tolkien and they have a point, you might want to listen to them. Maybe. Not necessarily. They may have ignored your geniusly unique plot points, so it's your choice.)
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:31 am
zelithon says...

No, I hate Charly Bone because of the style not plot. :D
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:56 am
Sohini says...

you can still carry on; and maybe you might outdo Rowling!!
if you get a plot don't let it go-keep the story going no matter what.

i'm writting a novella but i'm stuck-at least you seem to be full of ideas!!

just try not to make the entiree plot-including minor details exactly like HP.
otherwise there's nothing wrong with your central ideas.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

43 Reviews

Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:31 am
Supermal says...

Thanks, smaur and Sohini- I guess I'll just have to see where it goes, eh? :)
~Michelle~

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:14 pm
Araidne says...

I'd drop the part with the war. To me , that makes it to Harry Potterish. Otherwise,it is AOK :wink:
Out flew the web, and floated wide,
The mirror cracked from side to side.
'The curse has come upon me' cried
The Lady of Shalott

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:49 pm
Snoink says...

First of all, why are you writing this? Think about it. If you're writing this solely to become a best seller, then you probably should stop. First of all, J.K. Rowling has the market on magical schools, so they may not want to turn to you.

However, any idea is worth writing about if you really truly want to write about it. Finally, there are no original ideas that we write about. Its the style of the writer and the little quirks involved in the story and characters that make the story strong. If you really love doing it, your love will shine out from the story and make it a little gem.

So write it if you want to. If you love what you're doing, it won't sound cliched at all.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:29 pm
Karma says...

If you make it not a boarding school it would be good... if you make it in a non-realistic-fiction world it would help, too
My Karma Ran Over My Dogma
^------^
( 0 . 0 )
---------
Meow

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:25 pm
Poetriez says...

Dot get too close to Final fantasy though, with the modern and non modern mix there. But other wise it will work fine make it post-appocaliptic so the planet you choose civil is gone. i dunno just an idea
War is war
Nothing else
Nothing more

-J.G. Follett

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:37 pm
Julri says...

You shouldn't worry too much about how similar it is to other books. Besides, the magic school idea has been done by a lot of authors, but as long as they make the plot line and characters original, it always works out fine. As long as your characters are original and the plot line is different, it shouldn't matter too much if there are a couple of similaries. Oh, and be very careful with your main character (for example, if she's an orphan with special powers none of her classmates have and she's beautiful, you have a problem). Just keep your characters in shape and maybe lose the boarding school, and it should be great.

Peace! 8)
Don't let the turkeys get you down!

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Wed May 03, 2006 10:06 pm
Dream Deep says...

Um. It's a good idea. To tell the truth, the Harry Potter books were fun up to a certain extent, but after a while it got to be like being bludgeoned to death by a wet seal. We understand that Harry is the savior of the world (does not want to be the savior of the world/yet always wins). I do like your idea - what with the girl and France and all, but maybe you shouldn't make it a boarding school, you know? It takes a unique idea and makes it seem a little too Rowling-esque.

Just something to consider. Good luck! _/)

8)

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed May 03, 2006 10:15 pm
Teufelshund says...

I almost read that book in sixth grade..my brother is reading them, so I'll have to ask him what he thinks...

But I remember that the cover of Charlie Bone reminded me a lot of the covers of the Harry Potter books.
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

Reviews: 1
Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:50 pm
Fearless says...

Hmm...it does seem to be a lot like Harry Potter...epescially with the boarding school, young savior, and the magic. The fact that it takes place in France and partly in the U.S. makes me decide that it is sort of like Harry Potter, but not all the way.
I think you should turn it into a regular school. :)
Searching,
Seek and Destroy

I have my books and my poetry to protect me.
— Paul Simon