z

Young Writers Society

Recommend your favorite book

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:43 am
Conrad Rice says...

A Ring of Endless Light- Madeline L'Engle This isn't the first time I've recommended this book to someone, and it won't be the last. It has things that I usually can't stand in books, like a girl with boy troubles, and a bit of angsting over those troubles, but I seriously can't get enough of it. Best book in the world.

The Dark Tower series- Stephen King Stephen King's fantasy series. I fell in love with it a few years ago. It lead to me buying as many of his books as I could, simply because this series ties together most everything that he's ever wrote. It's truly an epic tale, written by what you could call an ordinary man's author, and that is why I love it.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:01 pm
alleycat13 says...

Following Conrad Rice's theme, I would recommend A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L"Engle. It's incredibly deep and eye-opening.

And the book I'm rereading for the hundredth time--Watership Down by Richard Adams. The way Adams takes something considered childish and uninteresting (rabbits) and transforms it into an enthralling reality is amazing. Plus, this book has some of the best, most entertaining characters I've ever read.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:21 pm
Kaylyn says...

Abarat by Clive Barker
Tree of Avalon series
Redwall series
I'd say Twilight, but you've pribably already read it....
Saving Fish from Drowning
Rainmaker
Inkheart, Inkspell...
The Thief Lord
Artemis Fowl
Pendragon series

If you want to see a recommendation of books I have a website with a top 30 good books.

kaylynstout.googlepages.com
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:47 pm
JFW1415 says...

Touching Spirit Bear.

Head Games.

Heir Apparant.

Anything by Jodi Picoult.

All We Know of Heaven by Jacquelyn Mitchard.

Before I Die by Jenny Downham.

Thirteen Reasons Why.

Follow My Leader. (Kinda elementary, though.)

The Death of Jayson Porter by Jaime Adoff. (If you have any cutter/suicidal friends/relatives, this is the PERFECT book to read to understand what they're feeling.)

Eh... a million more? I never remember titles - the only time I look at them is when I'm picking the book off the bookshelf in the library.

I may be back with more/authors?

~JFW1415

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:07 am
Conrad Rice says...

Touching Spirit Bear

Oh my goodness, I loved that book. Been so long since I last read it though. Need to pick it up again.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:35 pm
Stori says...

Well... I can recommend a few titles.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss... great fantasy, and it's a long one.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card... Great look at conflict

Auralia's Colors- original writing, great description.

Dragon's Fire by Anne & Todd McCaffery... nice poetry, exciting story.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:57 am
free_flowers says...

the bell jar - sylvia plath
on the road - jack kerouac
the twilight series - stephenie meyer
hamlet - shakespeare
and in case anyone finds an english version, o dia em que a verdade sumiu - pierre yves-bourdil

59 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 59
Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:22 pm
Fye says...

More for the thriller seekers - Dan Brown books, my particular favourite being Angels and Demons. I stayed up to about 3 a.m. reading his books. Couldn't put it down.

Twilight series? I'd say that's subject to taste. Some people love it. And some people hate it. If young romance is your taste, it's probably a great book.

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:33 pm
scasha says...

I second the dan brown recommendation: Deception Point was my favorite book by him other than the da vinca code.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:21 pm
Wiggy says...

The best book ever HAS to be Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. It's a timeless story of love, war, desperation, survival, and broken hearts. It's so beautiful! And helLO, it's got Rhett Butler in it!!! *major swoonage*

Anything by Jane Austen, 'specially Pride and Prejudice. *le sigh*

A recent book I enjoyed was Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber. Very sweet. :)

Francine Rivers is a fabulous author, especially her Mark of the Lion series. It is Christian fiction, but it's got great plot elements and wording. I really, really liked it!

And, for the deeper of mind, Dostoyevsky. He's the best writer that ever lived. He's marvelously brilliant, and The Brothers Karamazov is just...wow...

Yeah, I like romance and classics. :)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:50 pm
Adnamarine says...

I just read this. The Cocktail Party by T. S. Eliot. It's actually a play, and it's quite brilliant. It's insightful and entertaining, very funny.

The Sevenwaters Trilogy, Juliet Marillier AND The Thief, the Queen of Attolia, the King of Attolia, Megan Whalen Turner. These are the best books ever. As well as, of course, the Lord of the Rings. That goes without saying.

Ditto Gone with the Wind, and Pride and Prejudice.
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:59 pm
Broken^Minded^Warrior says...

Well, for me, it would be the Holy Bible. It has demons and angels, it talks about dragons, it has war, kings, miracles, prophecies, gods, you name it. And it is entirely true. Not to force Christianity, but it is a good read, even if you are a Hindu. And it is also what little kids used to learn how to read in the old days.

Hmm... aside from that, the Artemis Fowel series (didn't think that anyone read those anymore) and The Extraordinary Adventures Of Alfred Krupp. Oh, and The Lord Of The Rings! And The Chronicals Of Narnia! great series! :)
Is it a freakin' crime to be 13 years old and never have had a girlfriend before?

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:48 pm
playerj09 says...

Try these classics: The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann D. Wyss, White Fang, Call of the Wild and The Sea Wolf by Jack London. Or for something newer check out the series Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony
"my job was twofold 1)save lives 2)take lives. Not necessarily in that order."

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:11 pm
esteria says...

Hangman's Journal by Shashi Warrier,
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho,
By The River Piedra I Sat Down And Wept by Paulo Coelho,
Shiloh by Phylis Reynolds.
I also read Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell and i have to say it is the best novel i have ever read. It is entertaining and will make u go through all emotions( :D :) :( :o :shock: :? :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :arrow: ) It is an excellent read all of u should try it.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:30 am
vox nihili says...

I would recommend the following:

Al Capone Does My Shirts by: Gennifer Choldenko
Maximum Ride the Angel Expeirement by: James Patterson (it's a series, and be forewarned-very addicting.)
The Harry Potter Series...hasn't everyone heard of it anyway?
Rommiette and Julio by: Sharon Draper
the Artemis Fowl series for any sci-fi lover, which is by Eoin Colfer,
To Kill a Mockingbird by: Harper Lee, it's set in the deep south and segregation, so there's some racist language
Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelson
The Other Side of Truth by Beverly Naidoo
Cuba fifteen by Nancy Osa
The Spirit Line by..?
Stormbreaker and other books by Anthony Horowitz
The Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable
Project Turnabout by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Ender's Game by ?
Summer of My German Soldier-warning, its a very very sad book, also a romance

Just because you don't feel like a hero in your own story, doesn't mean you're not a hero in someone else's.
— Tenyo