z

Young Writers Society

Cliche's and Something for Everyone

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:19 pm
Krupp says...

JFW1415 wrote:
Krupp wrote:Perhaps I've merely misunderstood what this thread is all about (and if I have please inform me.) but I've always thought that when you're writing something it was best to AVOID cliches....unless you're writing a tongue-in-cheek kind of piece or something, I don't see why you'd try to use cliches for any kind of writing....

Everything's cliched. Your story on forming a band? Been done before, thousands of times. Probably many things in that story has, too. (Please - humans have been writing for hundreds of years. You really believe you'll come up with something completely new? Sure, you'll have a few new ideas, but not the whole thing.) You make it original, so you break the cliche.

~JFW1415

...Yeaaahhhh...this is kinda what I realized after I posted my first post in this thread. So that's why I added on that cliches are inevitable....I just didn't think about it when I was posting...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:28 pm
sokool15 says...

I think if you're not writing a fantasy novel - cliches are still easy to find. I don't even want to get into the big discussion and bitter argument here...I'm just saying that as far as love goes, a certain plot that is used ALL. THE. TIME. is: girl and guy hate each other, then learn to love each other by quarreling all the time and having constant conflict. This is the love story cliche of love story cliches.
As far as other stuff goes...having someone win a race or a contest or something against ALL odds is cliche (not only that but it doesn't usually happen in real life.)

In a "real-life" novel, 'something for everyone' would mean it had a character that was a child, a character that was a teenager, (who falls in love) and two older adults who have been divorced who also fall in love. Then you'd add some excitement in the form of bank robberies, car accidents, injuries, ect...some humour...some tragedy...some drama...

Truly writing something for everyone is pretty much impossible, but you can write something for almost everyone. You need to choose your target audience. In my suggestions above you would be targeting children, teens, adults, divorcees, people in love, people with injuries, people in car accidents, people who like to laugh, people who like to cry, people who are into drama - even bank robbers!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus