z

Young Writers Society

Who do you talk to your writing about

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:23 am
Alainna says...

Ah, now for a young girl living in an area that I live in 'writing' is seen as.........too posh. (Don't ask- you should hear what I've been called/ the looks I've gotten from certain people when I say I write.)

So.....I occasionally bore my friends and boyfriend who nod politely and act as though they're listening. My sisters when I'm not embarrassed, my uncle and cousin....

Mostly I just talk to myself. :D
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:35 pm
Fan says...

Who do I talk to my writing about?

Well, mostly I flame about members of this site called YWS. I mean...who do they think they are? lol :D.

Mostly I talk to you guys though I am starting to involve people in real life. I have two friends reading it and some people in my dorm want to have a look but I'm not ready to show it to more people yet.

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:17 pm
magiclukehutch says...

I talk about my writing to my dad because he and I are writing a book together.
Always happy to help!

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:38 pm
Dream Deep says...

I always talk it over with my brother first. He generally gets the jump on all of YWS and most of my friends when a new story idea is percolating because I know he'll be honest with me; none of this "You could make any story idea wonderful!" sutff, even when it's terrible. ^_~

So after it gets through the IvanProsithion guantlet, I usually take it to Imp, Kay or Till. Rather less unbias, as far as writing goes, but rather more writerly in spirit.

Random avatar

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:58 pm
magiclukehutch says...

I also talk to my friend, Andrew, about my writing. He just thinks it's really good because he doesn't write much.
Always happy to help!

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:58 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

The wonderful folks on here. Occasionally my dad, and sometimes, when it's not fantasy, I bounce plot and character ideas off my mom, a much better writer.
ohmeohmy

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:11 pm
Aet Lindling says...

In short, no one, 'cept you guys.

Lindsaroo wrote:(And sometimes my platypus plushie ^_^)

Platypus!
dun worry
it's all gun be k

Random avatar

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 pm
magiclukehutch says...

My dad comes up with amazing story ideas in 5 minutes. And he really does know what is and what isn't a good story idea.
Always happy to help!

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:33 pm
thewonderworldofnight says...

Depending, I show it to my mom, my 7th/8th english teacher (it sounds kinda corny, yes, but he's AMAZING and understanding), or my 3 friends, though lately I've shown it to my current english teacher, as I'm preparing for a competition thingy.

~Deoris
'"Many years ago, when I was young, I saw a fire, and what looked like death-- and beyond that, in the dark places, something...or some One, who knew me. Shall I at last find my way back to that wonderworld of Night?"'

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:01 pm
bookworm201 says...

My sister and I have a running gag where I go to her, and she pretends to have one of those long cigarettes that Cruella DeVille had int he DIsney Movie (sorry, mental side track- what are those called?) and a glass of Chardonay or Champagne, and she weeds the cliches out of my ideas.

Other than her, I'm very protective of my ideas and stories because I find when I'm in the early stages of writing, I'm a bit too easily discouraged. I usually just trust my sis's instincts and my own.

That is, until I joined this. I haev a feeeling this will all change soon.
"reading one book is like eating one potato chip."
-diane duane in so you want to be a wizard
[url=secondday.proboards.com]best rpg ever[/url]

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:47 am
flytodreams says...

No one. Absolutely no one, but there's the rare occasion where I'll either read out my writing to my mom, or both my parents. :)
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:11 pm
Emerson says...

Sam has turned into my ultra writing buddy. We've learned how to rant about how good (or bad) our writing is and respect the other person at the same time. xD Sometimes writing discussions can get incredebly one way, but Sam never tends to talk a lot about what she is doing unless I ask her (and even then but a few words) or she asks if she can rant. Don't get me wrong, she will laugh and then say, "You have to see this," and show me some ridiculous paragraph about Addy/Kostya/Upton/Carl/Suki who ever. I love them all. XD I think that is the best about talking to her about her writing, or mine for that matter. We both really, really love what the other person is doing. And we're both completely different writers, but we can still help each other out a lot. She's brilliant, and she's also good at being the voice of honesty or putting hot coals under my feet because I'm doing something bad (assuming characters can be evil XD) or because I've disappointed her (kill Rosen XD).

The other person I talk to is Dream_Deep. I can't really say that she is worse or better than Sam, or vice versa. I go to them because they work in different ways. But I couldn't really explain how... With Dreamy it gets spiritual, or something? I start rambling about things that don't make sense to most, about deep themes and reflections on those themes and how it is working together. And I get like this when not talking about a story, too. Dream analysis, or just... what ever. Haha. She's a beautiful person to speak with, because she's elegant. And we have so many things in common--conversation is full of "in" jokes. Though, it's usually full of jokes that only Sam and I would like when we're speaking as well, hahah.

Oh, and I can nerd-it-up with Sam. We try to have discussions in German, and fail because we're only first years. XD Ich schribe NaNoWriMo. ^_^
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:43 pm
Elelel says...

I'm one of those shy people who try to be inoffensive and tend to go red or look at the floor and shuffle their feet when more than three people look at them at the same time.

Thusly, any arty creative thing of mine is off limits to the general public.

I used to let my siblings read my stories, because they used to love it, for some reason. But it doesn't work that much anymore. Generally their advice is along the lines of "Good! But make it funnier" or "you should make your elves ride chickens! That would be so awesome! And then have a big battle where the elves ride chickens". Which ... isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe it was once, and that's why it used to work. I don't know.

Parents ... no. Just no.

I don't think my friends would really get it. They know I write, or that I want to be a writer at any rate. But ... yeah. You know?

To be honest I'm terrified of discussing my writing with ywsers because you'll all know exactly what's wrong with it. Hahah ... yeah. The shy thing. Working on it.

So ... basically I talk to myself. Or! I have done freewrites where I talk to my muse. But he hates me and isn't really very encouraging or even helpful. He thinks I wreak all his ideas. Frankly I think he's a bit weird. But whatever.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:49 pm
GingerLizzy says...

I'm actually not a big talker when it comes down to my writing. I mean, my friends Sarah, Matthew and Emma know I like to write and occasionally I'll tell them what I'm working on - merely because they're on this site too - but other than that, I actually get embarassed.

Not because I'm ashamed to write - definately not! - I just don't like people reading my work. Now, I know that sounds strange seen as though I've posted a lot of work on here, but I mean I don't like people reading my work in front of me, and that is always what happens whe I mention the words; "I'm working on something new."

I'm a dreamer, so I'll sit in a lesson - probably Business Studies or Science - and think of my new idea and actually imagine it like a film in my head. That way, I can see how it's going to work out and I don't have to tell anyone about my ideas.

I do casually tell Sarah about them; but only because she asks.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:13 pm
Fishr says...

I bombard anyone within in a five mile radius of me. XD I don't care who it is, as long as they listen, which usually is ranting to no end.

Strangers are great for this.

Friends are even better because you can fallow the buggers around nonestop.

Family... well... they kinda have to put up with your nonsense whether the like it or not. If the door slams shut in your face, go back to your first approach. Find some poor soul, and tackle 'em with ranting!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion.
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein