z

Young Writers Society

List of taboo writing words

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:56 am
seshat77 says...

Meep wrote:
Snoink wrote:The word "ejaculated" should never be used to indicate dialogue. Ever.

<immature> *ROFL* </immature>

*ahem*

I'd have to second that, actually. If only because I would snicker like a thirteen year old boy every time I saw it.

I thought of a word that I can't stand, though: "orbs," when used as a, er, poetic alternative to saying "eyes."

Ughh, I no what you mean, I HATE when people use orbs instead of eyes, It's meant to be poetic, but it ends up sounding childish

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:31 am
Tag says...

Galatea:

"Any descriptive ending in -ly should be removed from your writing immediateLY."

"(...I highLY recommend it to everyone.)"

Sorry, I find that quite funny :p But I agree that too many adverbs are dreadful.

I think... Words that I find irritating would be words like 'about', 'around', 'almost', it gives me the impression that the writer can't make up their mind.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:46 am
Bella says...

Really

That is one of the most annoying word I've ever seen.

I can't think of any others at the moment...
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

Reviews: 1
Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:47 pm
purple_star says...

'then'

You know a persons got writers block when they said the word 'then' repeatedly

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Fri May 02, 2008 4:09 am
Ross says...

Don't use phrases like:
-It was blacker than night
-Her eyes were as blue as the sky
-When in Rome...
-When life gives you lemons, make lemons

*barfs*
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri May 02, 2008 4:15 am
Dream Deep says...

Snoink wrote:The word "ejaculated" should never be used to indicate dialogue. Ever.

I think I'm going to second Snoink. Reading David Copperfield was a scarring experience.

. . .

Another totally evil word: totally. It attempts to address everything and in the end addresses nothing because, you, dear reader, are expecting 'like' to preceded it in the voice of a self-absorbed teenage girl...

. . .

And I don't want to read about how the 'tears made her eyes sparkle'. Tears don't make eyes sparkle. They make eyes read and puffy and depressed because they feel that they should be sparkling.

[/ramble].
Last edited by Dream Deep on Fri May 02, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri May 02, 2008 4:18 am
SuicideKing says...

The mere fact that we have "taboo" phrases and words in writing defeats the purpose of writing. I disagree with all of the above. As long as any of these are used tastefully (look, effective use of an adverb) they can be effective in the context of whatever you are writing. To be ironic, for instance, or to make a point.

Having taboos, especially in something as free-thinking as writing a story or poem, is a sure way to limit yourself, rather than expanding your horizons. Find creative ways to use these words, don't banish them from your thoughts.

--King
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.”

--Kahlil Gibran

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri May 02, 2008 4:23 am
Dream Deep says...

You make a fine point, King. Sometimes it's just fun to wreak havoc on the English language - and condemn all of the adverbs while we're at it. That having been said, you have the perspective of a sincere and honest writer. ^_^

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue May 06, 2008 10:37 am
seshat77 says...

SuicideKing wrote:The mere fact that we have "taboo" phrases and words in writing defeats the purpose of writing. I disagree with all of the above. As long as any of these are used tastefully (look, effective use of an adverb) they can be effective in the context of whatever you are writing. To be ironic, for instance, or to make a point.

Having taboos, especially in something as free-thinking as writing a story or poem, is a sure way to limit yourself, rather than expanding your horizons. Find creative ways to use these words, don't banish them from your thoughts.

--King

I definitely agree, although there are some overused descriptions that get on my nerves, the best writers use these sometimes.
If life gives you lemons, throw them back at life and scream "I don't want your damn lemons!"

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue May 06, 2008 2:49 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

I agree with 'totally'.

Oooh, and 'sort of' and 'kind of'...and I know I write them both a lot, which means a lot of deleting is involved when I'm editing...

Pretty as in 'pretty big'.

I don't think you can have taboos about everything, but there are a lot of things you should generally avoid when writing a serious piece of writing. All the words I can think of though, I know I use, and that's why I hate them, because I'm aware it's part of my own faults... :roll:
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

Random avatar

Reviews: 21
Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:11 pm
sday1607 says...

After reading 'A Woman Of No Importance', I hate the word 'very'.
Although, 'logorrhoea' is the best word to ever exist in language :P
Take that leap of faith, just don't look before you leap.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:24 am
Conrad Rice says...

zestfully

I cannot stand that word. Read a book once in which it was used a lot. And by a lot I mean, A LOT. Now I get the shudders whenever I see it.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:34 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

FlyingDream wrote:"Gleamed, glittered, sparkled."

*Shudders* I really don't like those words. They seem like they belong in Barbie: Sparkle Fairy Princess Kingdom instead of in a novel.

*coughTwilightcough*

:D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:55 am
JFW1415 says...

I agree with King, though most of the words here should still be used in moderation.

I just can't stand 'suddenly,' though.

(Oh, and eyes can sparkle when you cry. Before you cry hard, when your eyes are just welling up, they're sparkly.)

~JFW1415

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:59 am
Prokaryote says...

Grin.

No way, man. No way.

Prokaryote

hmmm. you know, the quote generator deserves some garlic bread
— SilverNight