z

Young Writers Society

Writing or typing? How do you write your story?

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:33 am
Pushca says...

Handwriting? Isn't that what they did in like 1812?
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:31 pm
Rydia says...

I like to write first and then type it up because I can use that as an editing stage so that the typed version is like the second draft but my sister prefers to type it straight into the computer most of the time.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:01 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Usually depends on the story for me...though I'll do a bit of both. For my unfinished novel that took two years to write (and then I just...stopped), I was mainly writing it by hand. Almost 200 pages of a handwritten story. I'd type it up every few chapters or so. For the project I'm working on now, I'm mainly typing it but I'll work on it in a notebook (so that I can take it with me somewhere if needed) and then I'll type what I've written in the notebook up. I don't mind writing by hand but sometimes I prefer typing it. It's just a little faster for me.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:08 pm
Alice says...

Since I'm in the process of updating the computer in my room I don't type on it and since I have a computer I'm not allowed to type on this one. Anyways I never type anyways, I always write first and when I finish a chapter I edit the snot out of it and type it.
I just lost the game.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:22 pm
Black Ghost says...

I mostly type my stuff, but occasionaly I handwrite it first, which I've found is actually a better way to go. If I'm typing something into the computer that I've already written down, I inevitably write a second draft as I'm typing it. So in the end it turns out better if I handwrite it first.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:07 pm
Firestalker says...

I handwrite my story first and then type it in word so i can add or cut of things and best of all i get to read what i have written before. The only problem is my handwriting is the worst in the world (Well not the worst maybe 100th worst)
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:02 pm
afamiliarsmile says...

Usually when I'm writing my stories I'm never near computer so I handwrite most of the time, but sometimes I type my stories out.
"...and in that moment, I swear we were infinite."- Perks of Being a Wallflower

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:53 am
sanguine_dreams says...

It depends. I prefer to type them as I don't get my wrist cramped up as easily typing, and I can read it back more easily, but if I'm already in bed for the night and need to scribble something, or if I'm not at my house when inspiration strikes, I use one of my nine or so little notepads.
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:06 pm
Denouement says...

I type, my handwritten stuff is generally of a much poorer quality.

I'm guessing this is because when i handwrite, it just goes straight down onto the page all in one go; whereas with typing i'm constantly editing as i go along and carry on editing until i'm happy with it.

However, i do have a notebook where i copy all my finished stories into it. It's nice to see my work all written out in my neatest handwriting.
Characters are people too you know!

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:15 am
Leja says...

*sigh* I try writing everything out longhand. If it's a poem, I find it easier to edit when it's handwritten. If it's a longer piece of prose, I often begin editing before I finish writing (maybe not so good, yes, I know) and the type up what I have... and then add to it when it's on the computer. I find that what I handwrite is a little better quality because there's more time for things to process before they go on the page. And I type faster than I write, so sometimes I get bored at how slow I handwrite and have to switch to a computer.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:08 pm
Fishr says...

When I was younger, I wrote everything out long-hand. My handwriting was decent back then too.

Then one lovely day, I entered Middle School and was introduced to computers... Well, we all know where that led, LOL! Since twelve to my current age, minus the two years I stopped entirely, (a major regret), I've been typing ever since. I honestly don't think I could write long-hand anymore, let alone able to decipher the damn thing! :x :wink:
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:13 pm
Crysi says...

I generally type my stories, because it's easier to edit and read (when I'm in a hurry, my handwriting becomes worse than an alien attempting to mimic a doctor), but when I get writer's block or simply lose the will to put in any effort, I handwrite my stuff. I have two large, extra-long notepads that I use to get my inspiration flowing. I've found that I can organize my ideas a little better, and I don't get distracted by solitaire quite as easily. ;)
Love and Light

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:37 pm
Teague says...

It depends on where I am and the resources available to me, but I mostly type. Pretty much because my ideas flow better when I'm typing because I type a helluva lot faster than I write.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:36 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

Generally, I handwrite my stuff. The poems and the short stories are always handwritten, and I only type them up if I'm posting them, or sending them somewhere.I draft them a couple of times, and put the finished ones in a separate notebook. If it's a novel or a play, I type, but I think I'll have to reconsider this, as I never finish the novels I start, and I've only finished two of the plays, both of which were pretty disasterous. Though writing novels by hand might just be hell...

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:49 am
chocoholic says...

It depends with me. If I get an idea for something that I know will end up hitting a wall I can't get out of and I'm never going to write another word on it but I just have to write as much as possible, I'll type, but usually if I get an idea and think, this could go far and I could actually finish this, I usually write. At the moment I've got two big things going. A novel story that I'm writing in an A4 notebook, and another story (I don't know if this one will actually be any good. It probably won't) I'm writing on loose-leaf.

I used to hate handwriting because everyone had loads of trouble reading it, but it's gotten alot better lately, plus I want to improve the bump on my middle finger that comes from holding a pen (I call him Bobby). To me, people can easily tell if you like writing by the size of the bump on their finger.

Find wonder in the everyday, find everyday language to articulate it.
— Maurice Manning