z

Young Writers Society

Pseudonyms/using fake names online...good or bad?

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:59 pm
Jules the jester says...

My name is what i use for evrything that requires a username. it makes it easier.

I Do tell people my real name and i dont that they know it because what are they going to do with it.

Liek sureal said how they gonna track me down. There is a dozen other steves that i know who live in my area so good luck old boy.
Man:George look at this.
George: look at what?
Man: Ha made you look!
George: Idiot!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:01 pm
Areida says...

I think quite a few people on here know my real first name, but I'm pretty sure nobody knows my last name. Hmm... scratch that... I think like, two people do, but that's it.

But I've gotten kind of attached to using Areida online; it's pretty much my online name now, since I use it just about everywhere. Plus I don't have many nicknames in real life, so it's fun to have lots of different ones here: Ari, 'Reida, Da, etc. :)
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:45 pm
Twit says...

Ah. The power of a name. The oldest wonder. I like going by a psuedonymn. Don't ask me why, I just do.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:00 pm
Leja says...

I like going by my pseudonym because then I can be who I want to be without it being linked to who I am the rest of the time. Kind of like an alternate personality?

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:11 pm
BrokenSword says...

Not really. When you're very young, it's good to be told not to give out ANY information, just to be completely safe. When you're older, you are more aware of internet dangers and know pretty much what sort of information to give and to withhold. I give out my first name occasionally and my state, but never my school or address or city.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:21 pm
Emerson says...

For me, I some how doubt anyone could track me down... And if they did, well, my fault for giving out the info, right?

I give out my last name, just because it's funny to see people go "Holy cow, how do you say that?"

For a pen name, as an author, I think I might keep my last name (Myszkowski) for the sake of carrying on my family name, and pick a polish first name to go along with it, since it is a polish name. Perhaps even a male polish name, though that may not work well if they put my picture on the back cover ^^' I just think some people might not expect what I write to come from a girl.

Then again, who ever said anything about me getting published?
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:22 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Young = you aren't sure what to say about your location, so just shut up before you say something TOO bad :lol: (okay, more nicely phrased then that...)
Older = you can tell between what's okay and not okay....

so basically I've echoed a lot of people >_>U
ohmeohmy

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Tue May 01, 2007 9:48 am
McMourning says...

Claudette wrote:For me, I some how doubt anyone could track me down... And if they did, well, my fault for giving out the info, right?
\

Yeah, it'd be pretty hard to track you down knowing just Myszkowski. In 1920, there were 16 households with the name Myszkowski, according to the US census. So, they'd probably be wrong about which you were.
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue May 01, 2007 8:14 pm
Alainna says...

My user name is my real name but I had complete mind block when joining and so just put my name....

However, I haven't given out my last name as it would be pretty easy to track me down and I haven't given my email address.....

pseudonyms are cool though.....

Alainna
xxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Wed May 09, 2007 3:49 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

I use a pseudonym. People know me by Saylen Viktorya, Keiran Kendall, Mina Valentina, or Serena Valentina. Ya'll know me by Serena Valentina.

I use the pseudonym since it sounds better than my real name. And if I do use my real name, psh, try to track me down. I'll set the Chinese mafia on ya'.

But yeah...my real name's boring. Seriously.

Serena Valentina sounds way better, no?

--Serena.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

Nouns can verb very well actually, they verb better than some verbs do.
— winterwolf0100