z

Young Writers Society

The Roundtable of Dead Heroes

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:49 am
Insomnia says...

I hated it when lee Scoresby died and wouldn't read the book. I didn't go back to it until I thought about it and realsied Serafina would have died if he didn't. xD

Oh, and also, in Stephen King's Cell? There's this gtirl called Alice that died. That was depressing. :(

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Firestarter says...

My favourite characters alwaysd die in the most herioc ways in the book. Like in Winter Warriors the baddest of the good guys leaps to his death from a cliff dragging two demons who are trying to kill the important baby.

The best moment in a Gemmell book ever. Chills ran down my spine when Bison sacrifices him like that. It was brilliant.

I didn't mind him dying like that, because it was done in such a great way.

I personally thought Lee Scoresby's death was done well. It was upsetting, of course, but he saved a lot of people.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:58 pm
Meep says...

I have the same problem. Ever since I read what is now my favorite book, I've found my favorite character dies. I won't give the list, because, you know, spoilers, but I can say that I've had one favorite character not even make it through the volume one! (It was a manga.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:58 pm
Sam says...

Yeah, there really is no point to Harry Potter without Sirius- and the way she did it wasn't very good, either. It was sort of an Afterthought Death...something he totally didn't deserve.

And...Alaska, in Looking For Alaska. Of course, it's what the book is about, but come on. Alaska is just one of those characters who can't die.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:04 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I've never really seen what the huge fuss about Sirius is. Nobody missed him in PS and COS. They were good enough. Although perhaps it isn't a coincidence that many HP fans' favourite book is POA. Personally, I prefer GOF.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:48 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Mmm...well, I haven't read that many fantasy books, actually. But in my favorite trilogy and Harry Potter, my favorite characters have died.

In Daughter of the Forest, the narrator of that book ends up dying in the third book, and the scene where she dies is SO SAD. My God. All of that character's brothers except for...one, I believe, end up dying, too. :|

In Harry Potter, Sirius was my favorite character. :( I hate that he died. Hate, hate, hate.

So, while there's a pattern between those two sets of books of my favorite characters dying, I can't really justify saying that my favorite characters always die, because it's only out of two series of books. o.O

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:51 pm
Lilith says...

Its true.

I mean, every character I liked, weather it was one of my characters or one I read.

I mean, Cedric Diggory, (did I spell that right :?:) died and he was my favorite right next to Flure.

Plus, in Lord of teh flies, they killed that one kid (I can't remember his name) who used to hand out near that pigs head and then they killed Piggy. Piggy's death really ticked me off.

Then there was my character Xandria. I sort of killed her off then realized I felt horrible about it so I wrote my own alternate ending where she didn't die.
Duffy -- "Watch out for Jesse, he wants what he can't have."
Emily -- "Oh boy, he can have me."
Duffy -- "Figures..."

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:37 am
Elelel says...

Hehe! It always happens to me! The best ones either die, or they just don't get the ending they deserve.

Main characters are never my favourites, does any one else get that? My favourites always seem to be the characters one back from them. The dispensible ones, I suppose. Poor things.

Actually I decided I while ago that if the death was well done, then I'd be ok with it.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:30 am
Sureal says...

The fact that you're all upset shows that the writers did their job well. They made you care about a character, a person who isn't real, and then made you upset that they die.

That a collection of words printed on bits of paper can invoke such strong emotions really does demonstrate the power of writing.
I wrote the above just for you.

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
— Groucho Marx