z

Young Writers Society

Top 100 Outrage!!

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:35 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Dreami wrote:Paolini's character Brom said it himself - you can pay off pretty much everyone with bribes.

Lol, how ironic!!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:36 pm
Sean Pendr says...

like?

every single book has been a spin off from lore or another book. there is no origanality in modern literature if you think hard you will see that... ther is however the creativity to chang things in mainstream fantasy. Paolini created a cobled language made 'his own! rules for magic casting' created the urguls and made the best dragon humanoid partnership fantasy adventure novel to this date, i think thats pretty close to origanal as you can get! JRR tolkien used mainly lore as a base thus not original but entirly creative as you could possibly get!!!!

beat that rant buddy!!!!! Muahahahahahahahahahaha

(Sean Pendr has gone psycotically insane with a deamonish look in his eye)
I do not want the first pithy lines that pop into your head. I'm not interested in that. I want plot, real characters, sharp dialogue. Plan, dream, live your story, then write it. Novel writing is not for the impulsive. ~Kitty15

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:38 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

:eyebrow: The Dragonriders of Pern series. Oz. Gerald Morris's King Arthur books. Fuyumi Ono's "Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms" series. Orson Scott Card's Ender books.
ohmeohmy

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:44 pm
Firestarter says...

every single book has been a spin off from lore or another book. there is no origanality in modern literature if you think hard you will see that... ther is however the creativity to chang things in mainstream fantasy. Paolini created a cobled language made 'his own! rules for magic casting' created the urguls and made the best dragon humanoid partnership fantasy adventure novel to this date, i think thats pretty close to origanal as you can get! JRR tolkien used mainly lore as a base thus not original but entirly creative as you could possibly get!!!!

Tolkien used lore, created his own twist. 50 years on, everyone uses the same system.

Don't even try and compare a teenager to the Master of Fantasy.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

58 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:44 pm
Sean Pendr says...

no actually he didn't in the book brom says this QOUTE!!! "Because you cant argue with all the fools in the world, its easier to let them have their way then trick them when their not paying attension" i know what your going to say after that quote and no he would not trick them,he put a serious effor into traveling around to various libraries trying to set his book with readers.... only chance gave him a major publishers son reading and liking the book, a chang in luck for poalini. good bye i would further show how much you have been beaten but i must of course leave school to get home. and now for two words: I WIN.
I do not want the first pithy lines that pop into your head. I'm not interested in that. I want plot, real characters, sharp dialogue. Plan, dream, live your story, then write it. Novel writing is not for the impulsive. ~Kitty15

79 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:47 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, you're entirely missing the point. Yes, many high fantasy worlds are alike LOTR, but having a similar world is acceptable. Tolkein has set the traditional fantasy world setting, which, naturally, is now used by many. Paolini, however, has taken entire cultures. There is a striking similarity, don't you think, between Urgals and Uruks - even the names are vaguely alike. Also, all this stuff about elves coming from "the west in silver ships" and having an age-long rivalry with dwarves. Almost word-for-word from Tolkein. And then he boasts about how it's all his own work, and he invented it all.

What makes it really irritating is the plot. It's almost exactly the same as Star Wars. You can predict while reading what's going to happen next, and easily be correct.

Also, the language is merely a re-has of Tolekin's elvish languages. The difference: Tolkein was a linguist. He actually knew what he was doing.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

58 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:47 pm
Sean Pendr says...

one more quick thing thogh i wasnt comparing poalini to tolkein i just sai tolkein created the literater that the fantasy genre was based on from lore and thus is not original as most would think... each author of fantasy reads then writes, each peice he reads influences his work nothing is entirly original.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:48 pm
Emerson says...

Maybe you should make your own decisions? I've heard almost every book be described by every critic, random stranger, friend etc. called the best book ever.

You have me there Jack ;-) So I will vote for Crime and Punishment since I have read that, and If on a winters night a traveler. No one (as far as I have seen) has done second person better.

m not saying it does its just his books have been read by millions of people and have translations in almost every language, not to discredit tolkien but Paolini has more translations than him plus with a private publisher your book has to be goo to be recognised even if you know the right people.

Actually, that doesn't mean anything. This is me and my hate for Best Sellers. ANYTHING can be "the best book ever" if advertised right, if published by a good company, and if it has enough subject in it that people are entertained by. Sex, fighting, blood, what ever I'm not even sure what entertains people. But that by no means makes it good writing. It just means he has connections.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

280 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:48 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Star Wars meets dragons. And goes back in time.
ohmeohmy

79 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:49 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Sean Pendr wrote:I WIN.

How mature. Win what exactly? It wasn't a contest, merely a debate, in which far more evidence against Paolini's so called "originality" has been put forth than for.

~Stewie Griffin

58 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:49 pm
Sean Pendr says...

ugh... no the language that poalini use was not tolkeins he created it out of various languages of the north. just like tolkein

58 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:51 pm
Sean Pendr says...

Poalini isnt original!

280 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:52 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Sean Pendr wrote: just like tolkein

:smiles: Exactly.
ohmeohmy

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
_fallingstar_ says...

Here's an idea: how about we create our own Top 100, with everyone voting on the nominations and their placements on the list?
My high school senior mascot is a dragon. Take that, monkey!

Blackle.com--saving energy one search at a time.

58 Reviews

Sean Pendr says...

but his creativity made him his book loved by millions

The adventures I enjoy are usually of a literary nature.
— Henry Winchester