z

Young Writers Society

Typing or handwritten?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:49 am
Jiggity says...

Well I've usually written by computer. I dont like writing it myself for some reason ... usually becuase I continually scribble out sentences and write them again. Looks dirty. But yeah, now that you guys mention it I recognise the same constant editing in myself. Scary.

Well I've graduated and am finsihed with high school. So now I have time to write. WOO!!
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:06 am
Pushca says...

'handwritten'? isn't that like what they did in 1218?
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:44 am
Kel says...

The original laptop notebook had paper.

I hand-write. I can take it anywhere (BMV, doctor's office, work, etc.) without needing wires or battery packs or heavy things to lug around a laptop. Nor do I need to wait to really dig into an idea until I get home. It's right there in my purse.

Also, I have no will, too! The internet is a big temptation and I often fail.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:53 am
Jennafina says...

If I could handwrite as fast as I could type I'd like that better, but I can't. :( It would be cool though. Now, when I handwrite I forget my ideas before I get to writing them down because I'm so slow.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:10 pm
Esmé says...

I ALWAYS write on the computer. Always.

a) Can't decipher out my handwriting.
b) My hand hurts after like two sentences, lol.
c) Its faster on a keyboard for me

As to the will part... Well, I've got 2 computers. One with internet access, one without. Eeh, but I really end up in the first rather than the second... Like right now...

Hehehe, you never know, it might be better using a pen... Look for inspirations on trains, lol. I think I'll try that...

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:31 am
Elelel says...

Oh yeah.

I forgot to mention my huge and nasty callus on my middle finger of my right hand due to handwriting. I grip the pen too hard, and it hurts me after a while when the callus starts to tenderise. Actually, once the callus has tenderised, it will be tenderised and painful for a few days. So it's always nice not to tenderise it.

Also I have a shiny patch on my little finger where it is rubbed along the paper as I write. That first developed writing a essay on Vietnam. It was a pretty good essay, and now I shall always remember it because of the shiny patch. It really really stings when I write for ages and ages.

More reasons why I must type.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:38 am
Cassandra says...

It really depends...

I usually write on the computer, for a couple of reasons:

A) My handwriting is illedgible
B) Hand cramps!
C) I type faster than I write

But sometimes I just need to slow down and write longhand. Like after NaNo? Yeah. I handwrote a couple thousand words. Somehow it just calmed me down. *shrug*
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:43 am
Swires says...

Typing all the way - Hand written just isn't practical and I tend to write pathetically when I hand write. I don't know why but I read it and nothing makes sense where as if I type I like what I'm writing.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:54 am
deleted6 says...

Myth wrote:
Dream Deep wrote:I keep logging onto YWS whenever I'm near a computer... >.<

I do the same thing XD It is almost like an obsession.

Same lmao we should start a club :P . Also prefer typing can find words quicker then. :D
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:17 pm
Lilyy03 says...

Lately I've found that I feel a lot better, and I make more progress, when I write with pencil and paper. It tends to get quite messy at times, but I find it easier to concentrate and be creative.

The computer is so full of distractions, lol.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:11 pm
backgroundbob says...

I take the middle road, because I have a typewriter!

So I can't edit it, but I can still go really quickly and scan it in to the computer (which recognises the words! Amazing...) when I need to.

Compromise, and a stylishly retro one at that! :P
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:18 pm
Prokaryote says...

I can type five times faster than I can write longhand. I agree with Phorcys, it's much more practical and efficient. I also don't have to worry about transferring it to the computer later, which might be a problem, given my handwriting. :P

Prokaryote

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:23 am
Jenita says...

I forgot to mention my huge and nasty callus on my middle finger of my right hand due to handwriting. I grip the pen too hard, and it hurts me after a while when the callus starts to tenderise. Actually, once the callus has tenderised, it will be tenderised and painful for a few days. So it's always nice not to tenderise it.

:) He, I grip the pen(cil) too hard too, except I hold it weirdly so I don't get calluses, just cramps. I do, however, end up digging my thumbnail into the tip of my forefinger, which hurts.

So, as you can probably guess, I use the computer. I actually edit and perfectionize less on the computer than I do longhand because when writing longhand, I lose my train of thought, so I have to go back and reread what I've written. Which is, obviously, followed by crossings out and writings in.

But I do write in longhand when computer access is limited. In the past two years I've filled up two three-subject notebooks. I've now progressed on to a five subject one, and it's huge. I really like notebooks (you could say I have a sort of obsession). I hoard the pretty little ones and don't write anything for fear of ruining them (I'm trying to fix that, honest! :wink: ) and I love the Five Star Advance ones, because they have spiral protectors so the spirals don't get smooshed. Which is really off topic, so I'll stop now before I get to black holes and the end of the universe. Somehow.
~HAKUNA MATATA~

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:49 am
de_budding says...

By hand is most portable and i do like wondering around the house and garden while i write, but i like having the Internet at the ready for help.
So it is laptop usually for me, although we have an antique type writer which seems to have it's own hidden qualities despite the fact it's messy, slow and noisy.
"One who understands much displays a greater simplicity of character than one who understands little."
-Alexander Chase

Reviews: 4
Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:42 pm
Zeige says...

i use my computer mostly for my writing but i always seem to jot notes on a notepad like names and places etc so if i need to use the names again i don't have to scroll through pages and pages to find what i'm looking for

i always have a notepad and pen handy if say watchin tv or at work and somthing hits me i have to write it down, my memory is shocking :P

i even take a pad n pen or pencil wen i take my dog for walks
-The Alpha-

Everything in the universe has a rhythm, everything dances.
— Maya Angelou