z

Young Writers Society

Which authors/books do you hate?

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:56 am
Icaruss says...

Just so you know, Tolkien might be a creative genius, but his writing is bad. Just flat out boring.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

Reviews: 4
Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:46 am
EERC says...

Don't really hate but I don't like the was Isabel Allende and Robert Louis Stevenson write. But I really can't take a book by Paulo Coelho.
Proud Venezuelan.
Harry Potter, Avatar, Death Note, The Legend of Zelda and Sweeney Todd fan.
"There are two infinite things: The Universe and human stupidity"- Albert Einstein

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:30 am
Elelel says...

The Iliad- I don't quite understand why we have to read this. The Odyssey is pretty good, actually, and I enjoy reading it, but the Iliad is basically a laundry list of things we only read because other people were forced to as well. My English teacher described its symbolism in thirty minutes, and it was just like, "Why couldn't we just talk about the philosophy of ancient Greece in a a way that doesn't take three hundred pages...?"

Hehe. My brother read that and told me that he thought Odysseus (not sure about spelling) was a sociopath.

I read Tess of the D'Urbervilles last year. It was ... irritating. Tess makes a load of stupid, stupid decisions and then goes around feeling sorry for herself for the rest of the book. She went around thinking "woe is me" and subjecting herself to hardship as punishment with her eyes filling with tears everytime someone asks her about it.

The best bit (*spoilers*, if anyone ever wants to read this book) was when she stabbed Alec with a carving knife. She finally reacted in some way other than to go off and wept and feel sorry for herself. It wasn't enough to make me care that she was hung though.

Maybe someone's already said that, maybe I said it ages ago. But I needed to say it (again) (whatever).
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:37 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I have a love/hate relationship with the Twilight series. Bella drives me nuts with her needy, complaining attitude, and Edward's complete perfection makes me want to kill him, but i love, love, LOVE Jacob. :D Now THAT is a good character. he's got flaws but he's still a good guy. I love him. I want to write a character like Jacob someday. :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix