z

Young Writers Society

What influenced you to write what you are writing right now?

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:01 pm
Merlin34 says...

I had an idea that I wanted to work with, but it took me a few tries to get the story I have now, with Xavier starting out in our modern world.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:42 pm
chipsandguacamollie says...

What I just started writing, and am hoping to write as a novel, was inspired by personal experience. It was something I had always thought about, and figure I could write about. Usually, I hate writing about my own life, but I changed this up enough so that it is nothing like my life.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

-Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:19 am
Rascalover says...

I was on vacation when I started writing what I am now revising and adding more to. I was sitting in my hotel room when a brand new journal(new journals excit me ahah). I had a pen in hand and just couldn't think of a single thing to write about, but suddenly this thought poped into my head. What would happen if... and the rest is history :)
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:42 am
MeadowLark says...

Anne McCaffrey's, Dragonriders of Pern are what started me writing. Those books and Lord of the Rings.

The novel I plan on finishing "Silent Souls" was influenced by "Inkheart". There was just something about Funke's book that gave me the idea. The Wanderers are based upon the Romany Folk, the talking animals are mostly from Narnia but also several other books I've read contributed to it. The undead...uh I have no idea where they came from. I suppose since Death is a major thing in the book I had to have the living dead :D Even though I dislike horror books and movies. 'Tis very odd.

Other ideas mostly come from dreams I've had, songs I've heard and or little experiences in my life. Which reminds me:

I have one "abandoned" story about a girl who is tired of waiting for her father to return home. He's been missing for five years so she sets out to search for him and blah blah blah.

That idea came from when I was waiting for my dad. He was looking at a baler he wanted to buy and I was getting tired of waiting. Of course, I sat in the truck till he came back ^_^

Edit: For "Silent Souls" Cirque du Soleil played a big part in helpign me write it. I had lost all inspiration on that story after I lost the perfect map for it. Seeing Kooza made me think of it and I've started writing on it again. Cirque has defiantly influenced me :D
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:07 am
Angels-Symphony says...

I came up with my novel idea after I got rejected from role play. They didn't want me to change the setting, so I took my characters and wrote a story of my own to rub it in their faces! lol, no, jk. They were upset that they kicked my idea out of their RPG, though. It's still okay because I had June read my story (on neopets, which was like, idk, when I was in 7th/8th grade) and then she brought me to YWS.

My other novel ideas are built slowly from personal experiences, books I read, games I play, shows I watch, and just everything in general.
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:46 pm
wolf4 says...

Hmm... lets see

I was reading this book called How I Live Now, which was basicly your average romance/Armageddon/apocolypse story. I thought it was really crappy and that I could totally write a way better apocolypse story than that. And thus, my novel slowly began to take root in my brain until it compleatly consumed my thoughts and I had to write it down on paper.
Don't follow in my footsteps. I run into walls.

Sometimes, it's best not to question your friends. Just help them dump the body into the river.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have pretty good ideas.

Writing isn't an excuse for insanity. It's a reason.

Reviews: 3
Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:56 pm
mamthew42 says...

Mine actually came to me because I was looking for an idea for NaNoWriMo. It was less than a month away at the time, and I had absolutely no ideas for it...

So I was trying to come up with ideas in class. It was a poetry class and we were talking about how different poets personify death, so I started coming up with my own ideas for doing so. I thought back to my other projects and realized that all three of them also deal with death quite a bit. In my first novel, the two main characters have returned from the afterlife, while in the second one (which I scrapped after the first 30k words, since it kinda asked too much of the reader in terms of suspending disbelief) had ghosts as the main characters.

My mind then wandered to - for some strange reason - one of the two Terry Pratchett books I've read, Thief of Time. Death was one of the characters in that, and his parts were really fun to read about.

I was also watching Soul Eater at the time (before the show went the way of FMA; gotta start reading that manga) and I also thought back to reading Death Note, and decided I should do a Reaper story, specifically one about the Grim Reaper teaming up with a psychic four-year-old.

The plans changed a lot since then. I changed the Grim Reaper to an entire corporation of Reapers and changed the four-year-old psychic to a seventeen-year-old girl with a dead Reaper in her head. Switched up the plot a lot.

Then I decided that a Reaper story was too straightforward and I needed to add a deeper level. My suitemate at my dorm was playing Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn at the time, and the game has a race of Herons - blonde people in white robes with wings that can transform into birds and have magical powers. To annoy him, whenever he was playing the game I called them Storks. Well, the idea of a race of Storks was interesting enough that I put them alongside the Reapers as birth granters, though they look pretty similar to the humanoid form of the Herons in Fire Emblem, and gave them their own sidestory as well.

So yeah, that's how I came up with the story. A whole lot of connecting random bits of my life, pretty much.
Proud staff member of Kirby: Cosmic Chaos, a fangame.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:10 pm
defendthelegend says...

Well at the moment I am writing three

one of them is inspired by my history lectures because I was the only one that seemed to know the information, and also from the boy in the striped pj's

my second is influenced by my sister to prove to her that I can write in girst person, and write a story that she likes, because she doesn't like to read many stories

and my final, by my mum and others, i wanted to write fantasy but it changed to mystery, and nanny mcphee and the famous five inspired me!
I wrote your name in the sand and the sea washed it away! I wrote your name in my heart and there it will stay.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:59 am
Confused.pirate says...

I actually did get my story from a dream I had. I remembered it so well after I woke up i IMMEDIATELY wrote it down in my journal the basic happenings that i remembered. Now it's blossoming into a story that I had actually sort of lived through, which in one way is pretty cool :)
Gotta love your dream world! haha. :)
"The differences in life are what create the challenges which open the door to discovery."

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:15 pm
Tally says...

I'm working on revising one story I started writing roughly two years ago and I think it was mainly influenced by watching a lot of Tim Burton films. That sort of whimsical, twisted fairytale idea sent my imagination into overdrive and the beginnings of my first completed novel was born.

Second story idea I'm developing at the moment came from the way I was feeling about something that happened in my life. I basically typed out a furious rant for a blog entry and built a story around it. It's nothing like what actually happened to me, but it's based on the same principles. I enjoy writing it, it's like therapy.
"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words." - Orwell, 1984.

icon by
[url=http://berauscht.livejournal.com/7074.html]cherry blossoms
[/url]

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:37 am
Elinor says...

My novel, and all aspects of it, sort of just fell into my head.
Oh, This is about pirates.
Oh, I guess she'll be rich.
Oh, I guess she'll be blonde and a pirate captain.
If you know what I mean, the rest strung itself together

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:59 am
pudin.junidf says...

Since I'm writing two, I'll talk about both of them.

First one: I began writing this one from some of my personal experiences and the idea of having a cool and strong alter-ego.

Second one: the high school one. YWS influenced this one!!! just how this helps young people to fulfill their dream and even some of the stuggles some teens have to gow through to get to the fullfilment of their dream.And even a storybook and specifically one member influenced it.
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'autonne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Verlaine

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:29 pm
afeefah says...

Hmmm,interesting question. I think that there wasn't actually nything in particular that influenced me, just being bored! I've always loved writing stories so I thought 'Why not write a novel instead of lots of short stories?'

And then I had a 'Eureka!' moment! And now my characters are constantly poking me to keep on writing and all the plot bunnies have ran away. :( But I don't know what I'd do without my characters really!

I've been rambling haven't I?I'll stop now or I never will!

Afeefah :D
I am who I am. I wouldn't be me if I wasn't. :wink:

Reviews: 4
Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:36 am
musicfish789 says...

I'm writing a novel that I've been working on for a few years now. I don't really remember what started the idea, but I remember that I had it in my head for at least a year before I decided to get my act together and write it down. I now have a notebook full of random scenes, lines, and character analysis' that I want to weave together into my idea of what I want the book to be. But I'm pretty sure that the idea came up because I've watched way too many chick flicks where the male love interest either dies or is already dead...
"There's nothing wrong with being a loser, it just depends on how good you are at it."
~Billie Joe Armstrong~

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:38 am
foxfire says...

that's interesting question...

well there's been a lot taht influenced my writing such as anime like elfen lied or full metal alchemist but what really inspired em to write is to understand the world around me like the idea of time, reality, moral dilemma, fate or otehr stuff...

things like i alwasy wonder and i wrote my story to understand those kinds of themes
John McClane: Drop it. It's the police.
Tony: You won't hurt me.
John McClane: Oh, yeah? Why not?
Tony: Because you're a policeman. There are rules for policemen.
John McClane: Yeah. That's what my captain keeps telling me

Very well; I hear; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness