z

Young Writers Society

Favorite bits from The Great Gatsby

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:00 am
napalmerski says...

Most of the confidences were unsought--frequently I have feigned sleep, preoccupation, or a hostile levity when I realized by some unmistakable sign that an intimate revelation was quivering on the horizon--for the intimate revelations of young men or at least the terms in which they express them are usually plagiaristic and marred by obvious suppressions.

My own house was an eye-sore, but it was a small eye-sore, and it had been overlooked, so I had a view of the water, a partial view of my neighbor's lawn, and the consoling proximity of millionaires--all for eighty dollars a month

one of those men who reach such an acute limited excellence at twenty-one that everything afterward savors of anti-climax

Two shining, arrogant eyes had established dominance over his face and gave him the appearance of always leaning aggressively forward. His speaking voice, a gruff husky tenor, added to the impression of fractiousness he conveyed. There was a touch of paternal contempt in it, even toward people he liked. "Now, don't think my opinion on these matters is final," he seemed to say, "just because I'm stronger and more of a man than you are."

The only completely stationary object in the room was an enormous couch on which two young women were buoyed up as though upon an anchored balloon. They were both in white and their dresses were rippling and fluttering as if they had just been blown back in after a short flight around the house. I must have stood for a few moments listening to the whip and snap of the curtains and the groan of a picture on the wall

She laughed again, as if she said something very witty, and held my hand for a moment, looking up into my face, promising that there was no one in the world she so much wanted to see. That was a way she had.

They knew that presently dinner would be over and a little later the evening too would be over and casually put away. It was sharply different from the West where an evening was hurried from phase to phase toward its close in a continually disappointed anticipation or else in sheer nervous dread of the moment itself.

I was about to speak when she sat up alertly and said "Sh!" in a warning voice. A subdued impassioned murmur was audible in the room beyond and Miss Baker leaned forward, unashamed, trying to hear. The murmur trembled on the verge of coherence, sank down, mounted excitedly, and then ceased altogether.

The only picture was an over-enlarged photograph, apparently a hen sitting on a blurred rock. Looked at from a distance however the hen resolved itself into a bonnet and the countenance of a stout old lady beamed down into the room

The sister, Catherine, was a slender, worldly girl of about thirty with a solid sticky bob of red hair and a complexion powdered milky white. Her eyebrows had been plucked and then drawn on again at a more rakish angle but the efforts of nature toward the restoration of the old alignment gave a blurred air to her face.

Mrs. Wilson had changed her costume some time before and was now attired in an elaborate afternoon dress of cream colored chiffon, which gave out a continual rustle as she swept about the room. With the influence of the dress her personality had also undergone a change. The intense vitality that had been so remarkable in the garage was converted into impressive hauteur. Her laughter, her gestures, her assertions became more violently affected moment by moment and as she expanded the room grew smaller around her until she seemed to be revolving on a noisy, creaking pivot through the smoky air.

It was nine o'clock--almost immediately afterward I looked at my watch and found it was ten.

Mr. McKee was asleep on a chair with his fists clenched in his lap, like a photograph of a man of action. Taking out my handkerchief I wiped from his cheek the remains of the spot of dried lather that had worried me all the afternoon

People disappeared, reappeared, made plans to go somewhere, and then lost each other, searched for each other, found each other a few feet away

Mind you, this is only up to page 16. Now that's the difference between a real writer and a wanker. A real writer has on every page stuff which makes your spine tingle from the consciseness or the sheer beauty of the prose. :smt003
Last edited by napalmerski on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:47 pm
Moo says...

Yes, I agree with you on Fitzgerald's use of language in Gatsby, it is beautiful at its best.

Oh and-

Now that's the difference between a real writer and a wanker.

I don't think that's appropriate language to be using outside of rated writing on here. o-o

-Moo
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:40 am
Merlin34 says...

A real writer writes stuff that doesn't make schoolchildren everywhere want to claw their eyes out from sheer boredom. :P
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:47 pm
napalmerski says...

Right you are Mad Moo, I'll change the rating haha.
Merlin, come the revolution I will personally oversee the lining up against the wall of people who think that all schoolchildren should be forced to read stuff which a miniscule percentage of adults is able to honestly enjoy. I mean, imagine the millions upon millions who never read the last mohican as adults only because they were forced to pretend to enjoy it at an age in which sword-clutching bikers should be dodging laser beams from ornithopters.
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:00 pm
UncleJimmy says...

Not familiar with Gatsby (Though I've heard is name)

Pretty interesting paragraphs. :LOL:

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
— Obi-Wan Kenobi