z

Young Writers Society

Overly Protective of my Novel

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:12 am
Hydey says...

Okay, I have to bring this right out and say it. I'm overly protective of my novel. I am able to post short stories, lyrics, and other writing works online and even to other people; however, I can't muster the courage to let it out to the world. :xd: I've even put a password on it so no one could read it. Is there anyone else out there with the same problem or am I just that crazy?
“Take one fresh and tender kiss
Add one stolen night of bliss
One girl, one boy, some grief,
some joy Memories are made of this.”
Johnny Cash

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:59 am
Snoink says...

YOU'RE CRAZY.

No... seriously... you should probably let a friend read your novel or something. That way, you'll get used to it when you finally publish it and become a best-selling author. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:28 am
Kibble says...

I've never posted a novel online either. If you're planning to try to have it published, it's important that you don't post it online in public forums, as this gives away some of the first publication rights, which is what the publishing company would want to buy. I think posting in private forums (members only, possibly with restricted membership eg. critique groups where you need admin approval to join) is okay with regard to this, but definitely check in detail what you can and can't do if you want to keep the publication rights intact.

Generally, though, letting RL friends or trusted email buddies read your novel might be beneficial, especially if you're editing the draft for publication attempts. It depends on your writing style -- I wouldn't let other people read before I'd finished the first draft, but some people feel motivated if they give it away in installments.
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

Reviews: 0
Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:33 am
thebestoftwopeeps says...

I don't think you're crazy. Whenever I'm typing on the computers at school and my english teacher walks by I switch off the screen so she can't read it.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:43 pm
Hydey says...

Thanks for the advice. I don't really care that people think about it. I'm only concerned about what would happen to it if I lose it. You're right, Kibble. I don't think publishing it online would be the best idea.
And too snoik for calling me crazy: Gee, thanks! :lol:
“Take one fresh and tender kiss
Add one stolen night of bliss
One girl, one boy, some grief,
some joy Memories are made of this.”
Johnny Cash

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:05 am
lilymoore says...

If you're worried about losing your novel, the most important thing to remember is to keep things backed up. Besides that back up being proof of the pieces rightful ownership, it also means that all of your hard work won't accidentally be lost.

Posting snippets and such isn't a bad idea, though. It allows you to get feed back on your style, which is really one of the most important aspects of putting together a novel (besides plot and character.) Another thing you have to consider is having at least one friend whom you can trust to give you feedback on your writing. Heck, it can even be a teacher. My English teacher (who is the coolest old guy in the world) gives the best feedback on short pieces of mine he'll read from time to time.

But the chances of someone stealing your writing, at least from what I can see, are slim. So don't worry too much crazy person. :D
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:30 am
tanith14 says...

My advice, never post something online you are going to regret posting if someone steals your idea and publishes it before you can get an agent. Seriously, I had this happen to me a couple years ago. They changed a few of the character names and lead the plot into different story arcs, but what was published was essentially what I had worked on for two years. Of course, the real betrayal was I know who published it because we worked on it together for one of those years.

So long story short, never post your novel online. I refuse to do it simply because I don't trust people enough to allow them access to all of my ideas. I post story ideas/sections of my writing but I will never post a finished draft on this site or any other one for that matter.
If there is one thing in the world I CAN'T stand it is the Redwings.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:40 pm
Merlin34 says...

Kibble wrote:I've never posted a novel online either. If you're planning to try to have it published, it's important that you don't post it online in public forums, as this gives away some of the first publication rights, which is what the publishing company would want to buy. I think posting in private forums (members only, possibly with restricted membership eg. critique groups where you need admin approval to join) is okay with regard to this, but definitely check in detail what you can and can't do if you want to keep the publication rights intact.

Generally, though, letting RL friends or trusted email buddies read your novel might be beneficial, especially if you're editing the draft for publication attempts. It depends on your writing style -- I wouldn't let other people read before I'd finished the first draft, but some people feel motivated if they give it away in installments.

http://www.writinggooder.com/2010/03/17 ... -internet/

It only applies if you're trying to publish exactly what you have online. It's okay to post a first draft or something so people can critique it.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

Poetry comes alive to me through recitation.
— Natalie Merchant