z

Young Writers Society

Is this a good name?

Reviews: 0
Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:20 pm
KSAnderson says...

Is "Gaerwn" a good name for an old wise wizard?
Kevin S. Anderson; Aspiring Writer

"You must remember that everything happens for a reason."

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:49 pm
Merlin34 says...

I'm not sure. You shouldn't make a name that people wouldn't be able to pronounce, and I cannot pronounce that at all. Is it "Gayr-win"? "Gey-er-win"? Something else?
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:14 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

Names are completely subjective. Some may like it, some may not. It all depends on what you want. But I would suggest research behind it. Find names that are both unique and have meaning. I don't know if that's a real name or made up, but if it's the latter then I suggest maybe finding a name that means wise or something that relates to him.

But like I said names are subjective and if you like that name, and it has meaning to you, then keep it.
Last edited by PhoenixBishop on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:30 pm
Writersdomain says...

The nature of the name has to fit your character, and really only you can judge that, but Gaerwn does seem a bit hard to pronounce. Mostly due to the double consonants: 'wn'. There's nothing wrong with making up names, but, generally, double consonants are wicked hard to pronounce. Try putting a vowel between those two? Like Gaerwyn? Gaerwen?

Best of luck finding the perfect name!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:36 pm
Lydia1995 says...

I think it depends on the character of the wizard, we don't know your character so we can't really give a great view.
I can see why an old wizard might call him self that though, but I can't pronounce it and that puts me off a bit. Maybe put a vowel were WD said and that would make it so much easier.

Good Luck finding a name if you decide against that one :D
~Lydia
Thinking about what you COULD achieve will get you no where. You've got to chase your dreams.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=92400 - Need a review?

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:45 pm
Karsten says...

I rather like it. Plenty of Welsh names end -wn: Annwn, for instance - probably because the letter w is a vowel in Welsh.

edit: I'd pronounce it Gare-wen or Gare-win. Nice and simple.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:11 am
Stori says...

I like it. Also, if you're doing a medieval piece I think "Emrys" is a good name.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:22 am
Elinor says...

I like the name, but it just sounds a bit intimidating to pronounce. However, any of the slight changes which WD suggested would all be really good.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:52 am
sugarxsnow says...

It's unique and it sounds mystic and all that... so I don't see why not.
"A fish bit my hand this morning, and everything became trippy. Now with this coke and this cherry, I can beautifully rule the world!"

-Dino, @ Dino and Cake's Adventures in La-La Land (Coming Soon)

PS: "Alice in Wonderland" obsessed? You bet.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:07 am
Lena.Wooldridge says...

No.

Because Gandalf, the archetypal wizard, also has a name starting with a G.

Also, I can't pronounce it.
stay gold, ponyboy

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx