z

Young Writers Society

Bad YA Fiction?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:39 am
SplitPin says...

No, I'm not saying that all YA fiction is bad, there's just a certain kind of YA fiction I don't like.
It's the kind of average story set in metropolitan America. The MC is usually an angsty male in his late teens who is often experimenting with drugs. He comes from a disadvantaged family with an abusive mother/father or a mother/father on drugs. He usually has a girlfriend, whom he himself may occasionally abuse. Either that, or his girlfriend is someone he met while taking drugs (Again, more drugs). The story is virtually nonexistent, and the book is mainly about the MC rebelling against authority around him, and spends most of his time around his girlfriend. He sometimes has a creative soul deep down inside him that he expresses with poetry. At the end of the story the MC will, for some reason, want to commit suicide. More often than not, he is stopped at the last minute. If that doesn't happen, he ends up killing himself for no apparent reason in a very anti-climatic finish.
Generally, these books follow no plot structure whatsoever, and is like, this happens, then this happens, then that happens, and the book is finished, without the events really having anything to do with eachother. There is perhaps a complication, but it is not often solved.
In conclusion, I don't like these books. Is anyone with me in this?

Sorry, this is probably sounding very poorly written, it's late at night and I'm tired. Criticize this all you want, I may have been thinking wrong.
"There can never be a perfect story. It is the perception of the reader that makes the story great."

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:25 pm
Jiggity says...

I read lots of YA fiction...can't say I come across the type you mention. But then I tend to gravitate toward the Fantasy YA...which is awesome. You should try some of that -- Garth Nix/Eoin Colfer etc
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:16 pm
Sureal says...

(I have to admit, I came in here expecting yet another Twilight rant.)

Sounds kind of like a YA version of Bret Easton Ellis, only without the awesome that is Bret Easton Ellis.

Most of the YA I read is fantasy, so haven't really come across the sort you're describing.
I wrote the above just for you.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:15 pm
Evi says...

Try something written by John Green, Caroline B. Cooney, or Nancy Werlin.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:36 pm
Writersdomain says...

Hmm, I haven't really noticed a pattern of a story like that, but I don't read much YA and what I do read is mostly Fantasy YA. :P Some YA irks me, but there are a few great authors. I like Alison Croggon a lot and Cornelia Funke is wonderful too.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:30 pm
SplitPin says...

I do now only read fantasy or sci-fi YA. If you have a look in the Young Adult section at your library, and you find a book with a one word title such as 'Grief', 'Anger', 'Misery' or sometimes even 'Redemption'.
While you probably will not find one with that exact title, I'm sure you could find something similar.
I read one once, and here's how the plot went:
There's a guy in his late teens who does drugs occasionally, and is overall a bad kid. His parents are divorced, and his mother can't really take care of her child. He is then invited to go to some kind of farm that helps troubled teens. This is because he steals a lot of things and once killed someone accidentally in the process. He stays there for a few months, meets a girl who he then does you-know-what with. Later on in his time there he goes to a party where he gets drunk and takes more drugs. Soon enough, the whole camp finishes and he ends up leaving his girlfriend to go back home. When he gets back, he finds that his mother committed suicide. Somehow he finds his divorced dad and ends up living with him and his two littler half sisters.
See what I mean?
It's just a whole lot of events without any real form of correlation.
"There can never be a perfect story. It is the perception of the reader that makes the story great."

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:25 pm
Critiq says...

I guess I know what you are talking about. It's a more modern version of the 'teen anxst' story (which is the sole reason I stay away from Romance stories) or maybe 'new age emo'. I've seen good (very loose) versions of this story, like I am the Messenger and The Sledding Hill, but normally what you see is what you get. Unfortunately, there is practically nothing to be gained from YA fiction nowadays. They try to appeal to a stage that is only temporarily (being essentially depression), and the moment you move on you never look back.
Spoiler! :
I like people thinking that I have something so scandalous to say that I put it in spoiler tags, and I'm sorry that because of this selfish desire you were roped into reading this for not real lasting value.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:07 am
GreenGiraffe says...

to be honest splitpin, I have never seen or read anything like what you described. And I am a fan of YA fiction, also some angsty books can be good if you find a character that you can relate to.
Click here to make a clicking sound

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:21 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

Oh god, I've read a thousand of those books, I keep hoping to find one that had some semblance of substance in it. It's like everyone is trying to recreate Catcher in the Rye while doing everything it does right completely wrong. I've read all kinds of drug use, alcohol use, teenage angst books and they never seem to stop me from picking up yet another.
And it seems all my friends read these books, too. And recommend them to me, and I happily take their recommendations and pick up what I swear is the same exact book again, again and again with the events and places and names shuffled around.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

You can cut all the flowers, but you cannot stop Spring from coming.
— Pablo Neruda