z

Young Writers Society

Crowded Thoughts

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:09 pm
ridersofdamar says...

So I've got a lot of ideas in my head and their all pushing against my brain, begging to be put on paper and developed, but as soon as I try then I get another idea and its starting to get annoying. I was wondering if this happens to anyone else and how they fix it.
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:17 am
Rascalover says...

This happens to me all the time. I know this might sound tideous, but I write down each new idea I get not exploring any, until all of them are out of my head and then I get to see which I like best. I haven't really solved this problem cause it still happens quite a bit.

Im sorry if that didnt help you.
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:16 pm
octocoffee says...

Oh, I completely understand what you mean. I usually have four word documents open at the same time, because my mind just jumps around from one to another. It's absolutely frustrating! If I really want to get to work on one thing, then I do my best to ignore everything else, or just make little notes in my composition book about each idea. But that usually doesn't last long, because some idea will make a return and pester me to no end :evil: If anyone has any method that really works for them, I'd love to hear it as well.
...if you are going to step on a live mine, make it your own. Be blown up, as it were, by your own delights and despairs. ~ Ray Bradbury
I Review Everything!

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:27 am
lilymoore says...

So, this isn’t an uncommon problem at all. In fact, it’s one I’m pretty sure EVERY writer must face down at least once in their lifetime.

For me, it’s a matter of finding the story that calls to me most. Sometimes, it’s just a struggle to sit down and put everything down onto paper – or computer normally – and then, once everything is down, figure out which one I really want to write.

Actually, I have a great little system worked out for myself on this program, Microsoft Office OneNote 2007. It’s been so helpful for me to get all of my ideas down and sorted out. Of course, the program is extremely expensive but if you can get your hands on it, it is amazing. Otherwise, once school shopping season rolls around, go out and load up on single subject notebooks at Wal-Mart along with some folders. Sort out all of those thoughts in your head until you find a quick easy system for arranging all your story ideas that way you can get down to the real nitty gritty on the story you want to work on.

Hope I could have been at least a little helpful.

~lilymoore
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:19 am
ridersofdamar says...

sorry it took me so long to reply, but I will try all of these :) thanks
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:18 pm
EaganDorian says...

I think everyone at some point has this problem. I think the best thing to do is to write down your ideas so you can come back to them. Later when you slow down, take a look at the ideas that you like then mash those you can into a bigger and messier idea. Then put on your white shirt and tie, get out your favorite editing pen, pretend your an editor, and start ripping out little details that you can do away with and find what will drive your story the best. You will find some of the best stories have multiple plot lines that will intertwine with each other. Most importantly, do what feels right and go with the story that means the most to you. Good luck!

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:42 am
Horserider says...

Happens to me all the time.

When I get a new idea, I write it down on this little Excel worksheet I have to keep all my ideas in. Then I have it out of my brain and can go back to concentrating on whatever I'm already working on.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:51 pm
MagnusBane says...

I keep a little notebook with me that I carry around constantly. I never leave home without it. It's really convenient, because whenever I get a new idea I can just scribble it down on the notebook and forget about it. Then, weeks, months, maybe even years later, I can flip through the notebook and write all those old ideas when I have the time.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

Poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just don't get - and never would get.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe