z

Young Writers Society

Question about Writers' Group

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Thu May 28, 2009 12:32 am
writerchick416 says...

I found a writers' group at a local Barnes and Noble. It says all are welcome on the page description on the B&N Website and I couldn't find much other online reference to them. Considering I am very young and have almost no writing experience (professionally) do you think I would be allowed to join or is the best way to contact Barnes and Nobles and see if they can pass on the information to me or tell me how to contact the group? Also what is the purpose of a writers' group? I have the general idea but am not actually sure. I'm looking for ways to improve and get critique on my work and writers' groups were mentioned on several web pages. Also anyone have experience with one good or bad? Thanks in advance for your help.

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Thu May 28, 2009 3:59 am
EaganDorian says...

I would recommend contacting the group itself and seeing what guidelines they can give you. Your at a great stage to learn to write. Of course the only way to learn to write is to write. I hope writing gives you the chills and is something almost deeply spiritual for you. That means no bad others may think your writing is, you always have your own self as a fan.

The harder you flap your pens the farther your words fly.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu May 28, 2009 5:34 am
Snoink says...

Writers groups are fantastic. Mine usually consists of us gossiping about boys and eating chocolate. And sometimes there's discussion about writing.

But really! You should just go. They'll probably love to have a new face in the group, even someone as young as you. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Thu May 28, 2009 8:14 am
LowKey says...

I go to that at my local B&N! When they say all are welcome, they mean it. I go, and I bring my sister, who's only 11. There are all ages at it. I'm fairly certain you'd be allowed. ;) Just hop in, sit in on a meeting, it'll be fine, and see if you like it or not. check it out. Then, if you like it, go again and become a regular. You don't need to set an appointment, just come and randomly sit in on one of the meetings. B&N is cool like that. :)
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Thu May 28, 2009 11:13 pm
fragile_heart(!) says...

You're so lucky! There are no Barnes and Noble in my area. :( If I were yo, I would take advantage of the offer.

Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?
— Mary Oliver