z

Young Writers Society

Help?

Reviews: 2
Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:56 pm
freewriter says...

I need help coming up with ideas for a story/book/novel. Any help is greatly appreciated. And also, it would be great if someone could give me some links to good character sheets. And sorry if this is on the wrong board.
"Mommy, why does that man smell like cheese?"

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:25 am
WaterVyper says...

If you need ideas, there are lots of ways to get them. First, think about a theme you want to explore. Then, check the news for anything related to that theme. Once you find something good, do a bit of digging. Then, start asking yourself questions. What if he didn't get arrested? What if this was set five hundred years in the future? What if the target was the President? Just ask yourself all of these what-ifs. Eventually, you'll stumble on something.

Basically, the best way to get ideas is to as "What if...?" questions.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:56 am
Merricat says...

Neil Gaiman's got a great essay about ideas and inspiration here: http://www.neilgaiman.com/p/Cool_Stuff/ ... r_ideas%3F

Novels are really long and complex, which means that they're hard to write. If you don't have an idea that you're 100% excited about, there's a good chance you'll get bored and give up on it before you finish. Even with an idea that's completely awesome and characters you love, it'll be a struggle to get it done.

It's a good idea to make a list of ten things you're really interested in, things you'd like to write about. Countries, historical events, folklore, pieces of technology, famous people, psychiatric disorders, languages, certain types of clothing? Sports? Religions? Or look at your ten favorite books and think about why they're your favorite -- are there common characters or plot structures that you really like? Pull out those elements and make your own story out of them.
Merricat, said Constance, would you like a cup of tea?

http://www.notadoor.livejournal.com

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:38 pm
Mars says...

Everyone else gave great advice! If you're still stuck, here is a good place to browse for inspiration. (What can't the internet do? :D)
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:30 am
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

I'm good at helping with this. Watch TV. Easy, I watched a show and BOOM I thought of a story. Think of problems that a person could have Examples: poverty, mental illnesses, tragic losses. Listen to music, that always gives me ideas. You have to think about things, explore.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

Do. Or do not. There is no try.
— Yoda