z

Young Writers Society

WANTED: A Title

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:29 pm
SteviexOctopus says...

I need a title for my novel. Right now I'm calling it January, simply because it takes place, mostly, in January. But I don't feel that it fits my novel.

My book is of the Fantasy Genre and has a dash of everything but mostly Sci-fi, Steampunk and Action/Adventure.

My story is about a very confusing and random adventure of a girl named Evelyn who is trying to save her sister from uncertain death.

Other important facts:
[spoiler]
- Evelyn is an orphan and the daughter of a Ringleader and a Princess.
- Her sister is trapped in a mirror.
- A Haunted Manor is a big element.
- There is another world that is inspired by: the Victorian Age, the Middle Ages, Futuristic/Alien Planets, Wonderland, Neverland and Narnia.[/spoiler]

I want a title that invokes the imagination, sounds dreamy, dark and surreal, simple but not necessarily short, can be from other languages and/or something that sounds kinda Victorian/Futuristic.

Thanks!

(and sorry if this is in the wrong place)
.:~|The Red Ink Emporium!|~:.
"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?"

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:45 pm
Krupp says...

I'll tell you something that seems to work for me if you want to change your title:

Think about what your story is really all about. Get down to the bare facts. Consider what kind of mood this story might emit when read. Once you get a clear image of this, pick one word or two or whatever strikes you about the story and use that. The title will describe not only what the tale's about but give a hint of what the reader can expect.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:50 pm
Rosendorn says...

Something I do is look at the main theme or goal of the story. For one story the theme was trying to get the bad guy while trying to to induce a riot about women leaving that kind of work to men. Since my MC is nicknamed Cat, the title became Cat Steps. For another, the goal was to first learn about then find an original copy of a prophesy that either makes the MC a witch or a Hunter (a person who fights witches). Title: The True Prophesy.

And, something that might help with following Krupp's advice: Boil your plot down to one sentence. That way, you are guaranteed to just get the bare-bone facts. (Check Writing Activities for a thread).
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:40 am
Mars says...

I totally agree with Rosey and Krupp, so I'll just throw this out there:
The Haunted Manor
*shrug* Obvious, I know, but if it is that important...:)
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:30 pm
SteviexOctopus says...

Thanks everyone, but I've finally come up with a title. =]

It's Now called Paradox Parade. Thanks again.
.:~|The Red Ink Emporium!|~:.
"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?"

Gravity was a mistake.
— Till Nowak