z

Young Writers Society

Good writing books?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:20 pm
Twit says...

So, I have a ten pound book token, and was thinking about using it to buy a good writing book.

Any suggestions? Anything on the whole writing shebang is good, or ones that deal with fantasy writing, or ones that are just plain helpful.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:37 pm
Master_Yoda says...

If you are looking into writing Fantasy, How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy by Orson Scott Card, is remarkably good. He deals with World Building, Story Construction, writing well, and getting published as well. I found it remarkably helpful. Good luck. :)
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:58 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

I'm not big on those How to books, but if your writing fantasy I have a regular book that's one of my favorites and helps me write. The Sword of Truth series is excellent and very amusing. The first book in the series is Wizard's First Rule.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Blink says...

I've heard that The First Five Pages is good. But I've got Writing a Novel and Getting Published for Dummies. :)
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:37 pm
Emerson says...

I've always loved Writing Fiction but you're probably not in need of that. It's more of a beginner's guide, though still helpful. The Artful Edit was also great, and as the title says it focuses more on editing than anything else, which is a great skill to have.

Then there is The Midnight Disease which isn't a how-to book, but a book about writer's block and the study of it in writers. I found it fascinating.

Hope you find something good!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:23 pm
smorgishborg says...

This may not apply to TLG, but if anybody hasn't read Strunk and White (The Elements of Style), it's high time you did. It's a classic for a reason. So very useful...
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:28 pm
Emerson says...

This may not apply to TLG, but if anybody hasn't read Strunk and White (The Elements of Style), it's high time you did. It's a classic for a reason. So very useful...

I bought that at the beginning of this school year because my Lit teacher told me we would need some sort of grammar reference, and I hadn't gotten that yet. I think it is hardly reading material? Of course I've only flipped through it. It might be great reference, but even then it's not like it hits every possible question you could have about the English language. I find a college text book on writing to be more useful (or even the internet) when I have a question. But this is just my opinion. ;-)

More than anything, if TL wants to read something, I'm not certain that is readable. :P Great for bumbles, though!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:33 pm
Rosendorn says...

Some books I find helpful are:

The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference by Writer's Digest Books. This one gave me my first story idea and got the ball rolling for several more.

Dynamic Characters by Nancy Kress is really, really good for character development.

Beginnings, Middles and Endings by Nancy Kress is hilarious and very useful.

Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint by Nancy Kress has some things Dynamic Characters does not, like writing about fight scenes and the run-down on POVs.

Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy by Crawford Kilian is really nice because it gives you other books and websites to look up (including two fantasy cliche lists). It also comes with a CD that has articles, exercises and web addresses.

Description by Monica Wood is what I'm currently reading and I really like it. It gives flashback tips, showing and telling tips, and how to keep things moving.

I also really like The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler. It's got the difference character archetypes and the steps in the hero's journey.

And finally, a fantasy cliche list I frequent is:
http://amethyst-angel.com/cliche.html It's called the Not-So-Grand cliche list (Do not be deceived by the title, it is long). It's from Kilian's book, and it's a good list of overused things in fantasy. There is also the Grand cliche list ( http://www.geocities.com/area51/labyrin ... liche.html ), which is also from Kilian's book. Surprisingly it isn't as long as the Not-So-Grand list.

I have more, but those are my current favourites.

Hope I helped!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:51 pm
smorgishborg says...

Suzanne wrote:

I bought that at the beginning of this school year because my Lit teacher told me we would need some sort of grammar reference, and I hadn't gotten that yet. I think it is hardly reading material? Of course I've only flipped through it. It might be great reference, but even then it's not like it hits every possible question you could have about the English language. I find a college text book on writing to be more useful (or even the internet) when I have a question. But this is just my opinion. ;-)

More than anything, if TL wants to read something, I'm not certain that is readable. :P Great for bumbles, though!

The grammar is boring, but the last two sections are priceless. A lot of books on writing (Stephen King) pretty much steal straight from the last section.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
— Samuel Johnson