Yes
No votes
No
57%
Maybe
14%
Let me tell you what I think
No votes
Why did you choose only male characters?
29%

Total votes : 7

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:59 pm
ButterFlyInk says...

Hey everyone,
I'm almost there in getting my novel up and running but I ran into a question that has been bothering me. In the end it could hurt me or save me we'll all have to wait and see.
Anyways,
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, my question to you as a reader and a writer is this:

If you were reading or writing a novel and it had more characters of one sex would you put it down and walk away? would your crave the other sex? (okay that sounds wrong but you know what i mean :P)

In my case my novel has mostly all male characters and there is a glimpse of female characters but they don't last long, and I am wondering if I need to have a female character?
But I am worried that if I put a female character it will soften my story and that i will somewhat be forced to put some type of romantic relationship with one of the guys.

So does it matter?

Honestly tell me what you think,

-Bonnie
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:13 pm
Stori says...

I'd probably put down a book with all-male characters. But I've never seen such a book.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:14 pm
W says...

Your ruining your idea and novel when you start bending the plot for pointless reasons like gender equality. If your book dosen't need a female character, your not planning on introducing a female character, the very idea of a main female character is JUST so you can say "Hey! I've got both boys and girls, it's alright!" don't. 99% of the universe won't care.
el oh el

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:15 am
Rubric says...

Hmm I agree with W, don't change your novel just to have the character: characters serve the plot and no other master.

But I mean, if the novel is improved by this character then sure, throw her on in.

Many books feature inequality in numbers for the genders.
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:35 am
Snoink says...

I wouldn't put down said book. I'd just read it. So what if "The Martian Chronicles" doesn't have any females in it? That doesn't make it less awesome.

So if it requires it, put it in. If it doesn't, then don't.

But I wouldn't say that females would necessarily soften the book either. It just depends on the character. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:18 pm
Jonny says...

I'd say, if you need another character, try to make it a female. I'm no women's right advocate, but having a girl in your story doesn't necessarily soften it (there are softie guys, too).

I don't think its a big deal, and definitely don't change your story to include a girlie, but I find gender balance to be a good thing. It helps you see things from different angles.
99% of people don't read signatures
7/4ths of people make up statistics,
66 and 33/10ths% of people are bad a fractions

post446108.html#446108

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:51 am
Bittersweet says...

I agree with Jonny Von Jelly. I think a balance (or at least some people of different sexes. It doesn't have to be 50% guys and 50% girls. That's weird) is nice to have, but I would never put a book down if it didn't have any of a certain kind of gender. Unless it's like a book with a bunch of girls that gossip and have PMS... then I might. Heh.

I say add at least a few girls in the story, even if they are main characters. After all, how could guys live without any girls at all, vice versa?

-Holly
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 pm
LolitaRose says...

While I don't think a 50/50 is needed, I would think it would be sort of off to have a book with no females. I mean, I would still read the book, and if it caught my interest, love it, despite that there are none, but still...

Besides, I've never met a guy who didn't at least know a girl and talk to her.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:16 pm
lilymoore says...

It wouldn't be much of a problem for me. Yeah, I like writing with a variation of characters but I've read stories with all male characters. Heck, right now in my english class, we're reading A Separate Peace and because it takes place in an all boy boarding school, all of the characters are male. So far, I haven't had any problem with it. I've actually really enjoyed it.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon