z

Young Writers Society

Starting at the End

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:57 pm
Lilith says...

I had an idea recently to start my story off at the very end with the Epilogue. But I'm wondering if, by revealing to much to the reader, would I loose to much of there interest in the story.
Duffy -- "Watch out for Jesse, he wants what he can't have."
Emily -- "Oh boy, he can have me."
Duffy -- "Figures..."

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:58 pm
xxfourthelement says...

Well, that depends on the reader. I happen to know several people who read the back of the book before they start it, just to check. Other people won't read things that are too mysterious.

If it bothers you, though, try not to reveal too much in your epilogue. For example, don't reveal a character's name - use the pronoun he or she instead, so that the reader isn't sure which male or female it happens to be.
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:28 pm
Prokaryote says...

Starting at the end then doubling back to the beginning can be a good way to pique the reader's interest. It's probably best used when the end involves a strange, curious event -- it makes the reader want to know what in the world happened that could have produced such an outcome.

So yeah, I wouldn't use it unless your story is one that just screams for it. Its misuse could completely kill any suspense the story might have.

Prokaryote

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:15 am
ButterFlyInk says...

How can certain writers start at the end and work there way up to the beginning? all of my 6 novels I have going all started with a vague outline for the beginning. And I have no idea how any of them end, or the middle for that matter.

How did you figure out the ending before the beginning Lilith?
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

Reviews: 4
Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:32 am
Spiritree says...

I think all of these tips are great-- and just go for it! It will be disconnected enough flow-wise from the story itself that you can just cut it out if it doesn't work. But it might be amazing-- you won't know til you've tried it. I would definitely use it to create suspense, as Prokaryote suggested. Use it to hook the reader and reel them in!

Good luck!
"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding." ~Kahlil Gibran

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:01 am
Meep says...

One of my favorite novels (What Happened to Lani Garver) opens with the narrator talking about what happens at the very end of the book, and then doubling back to explain what lead up to the event in question. It was really excellent, because it heightened the suspense and everything.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:09 am
Lilith says...

To ButterFlyInk:
The ending is what inspired the story. It came from a dream and I just asked myself "What happened for my characters to get there?" But I could also see my ending at the beginning.

And to everyone else, thanks for the lovely advice.
Duffy -- "Watch out for Jesse, he wants what he can't have."
Emily -- "Oh boy, he can have me."
Duffy -- "Figures..."

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:15 pm
Ross says...

I don't think that the start has to be the END...but maybe a climax point. After the climax, there's always a brief tying-up of the loose ends. I like the idea, though. I would say go for it!
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:19 pm
Krupp says...

Yeah, really, just be careful when writing the epilogue that you don't give away too much. If you have any big twists in mind for the story, set them up right there in the epilogue and get the readers' minds working one way, when really you're planning on going another. It always works.

Usually.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

If you don't sign up for a review team, you're basically saying you're okay with canine amphibian metamorphosis.
— Nate