z

Young Writers Society

Need Help On Title

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:49 pm
Firestarter says...

Well, since I well and truly suck at titling (I think the last two novels I tried writing I didn't even think of anything) I'm appealing to you intelligent people for help.

Originally, my NaNoWriMo was going to be called "Marathon", then I changed it to "Earth and Water" and now I've realised both titles are terrible; unemotive and plain.

Basically, my novel is hopefully going to be about three Greeks who's stories converge, and they become close friends. The plot is less important than the brotherhood and camarderie of these men, but it involves a lost wife, a lot of deaths, the battles of Marathon and Thermopylae, the Olympics, Athenian politics ... to name a few. Yeah.

I know a few of you might say "You don't need to name it yet! You can always change it later!" But I really really want a title. I think it might spur me on to have a really powerful title.

Here's a few more I thought of that could be better:

The Sky So Deeply Red (taken from a poem I found on Thermopylae)
Not Death But Love
Those Slain Lie Famous (Simonides)

Any thoughts? I really like the first one, "The Sky So Deeply Red" but I'm wondering on what someone else thinks?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:34 pm
Snoink says...

I like the first one too, but the imagery the third one creates is lovely. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:36 am
Ares says...

Yea, my votes for either the first or third.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:46 am
_fallingstar_ says...

I personally like the first one too. It makes me think of a sunset on a bloody battlefield for some reason.
My high school senior mascot is a dragon. Take that, monkey!

Blackle.com--saving energy one search at a time.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:48 am
Cassandra says...

The first one get my vote. Great imagery.
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:25 am
Wiggy says...

First or third most definitely. When I read some of your story I'll help you more even then! ;) Also, I find that there's sometimes a brilliant choice phrase in your story that you don't know could be such a great title till you write it. That's how I found the title for the book I wrote in 6th grade. Heh, actually I thought of it at the dentist's office. Funky, eh?

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:46 am
Poor Imp says...

I like Those Slain Lie Famous, Jack -- for a novel. But I'd have to say the first is much prettier -- compared rather like the difference between the Greeks and Romans. One blunt and about death...the other lyrical.

It is your choice. Though those are my two cents. :P
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:47 am
Firestarter says...

I'm gonna use "Those Slain Lie Famous" for another story, I think. "The Sky So Deeply Red" seems the one I want to use.

Thanks for all the help and opinions!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:32 pm
Myth says...

Aw, I was about to say "Those Slain Lie Famous" was great but I'm too late but I guess "The Sky So Deeply Red" appears more because of the Thermopylae connection.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:26 pm
Firestarter says...

Everyone likes "Those Slain Lie Famous" so much! I'm going to write a short story inspired by the same name.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:35 pm
Wiggy says...

Yay! More Jack writings! :D

Wiggy ;)

P.S. Good choice on the title. :)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Mon May 19, 2008 4:29 am
Ross says...

I like First and Third.

However, what I would do to avoid this problem in the future is to take any phrases, words, etc. that you think are magical or whatever and try them out as titles. That's how Harper Lee got To Kill A Mockingbird.

Another way is to write a list of words that are central to your book and mix them up. That's how Dan Brown got The Da Vinci Code.
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

Random avatar

Reviews: 38
Mon May 19, 2008 11:31 pm
Squishy says...

try no title.

books are better without being revealed pre-maturely.

like those little summary things onthe inside covers of novels: annoying.

and no one should be judging the book by the cover anyways

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:01 am
Mathlete says...

Personally, I like the third. The first is good, but there's something interesting about Those Slain Lie Famous. It might be that it's true in some instances, or maybe because it creates an image in your mind of some great, fallen warrior. I'm not saying the first isn't good, but the third sounds great.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:55 pm
Jon says...

i personally do not like any of those titles but if it is about three greek people and a journey or quest it should be called

"The Road To Destiny"

i hope you like it and can use it
i really dont know much of your story so i can't come up with a really good title
best of luck on the title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
!@#$%^&*()!#$@#%^&(*%&*@#%^@#$%^*#$%^!~%#@^^!#$^

What's stopping you?
— David Mamet