z

Young Writers Society

self-criticism

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Mon May 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Summerless says...

I feel like that too, sometimes. These days I tend to get overwhelmed by my writing. I think to myself: I will never finish this. This sounds really cheesy.

But what I try to do is simply write, finish something, and then work on the parts people don't like. In romance stories I tend to put in some overused, predictable parts. People tell me what is overused. I listen to the advice and sometimes I just put aside that piece of writing and don't do anything with it. But sometimes, when people tell me something is overused, I do try and think of something better.

As for the hidden meaning thing, I know exactly what you mean. I'm working on writing more poetry and short stories that have hidden meanings. It's difficult; some people don't understand/can't find it. I keep on trying, though, because as the old saying goes, "Practice makes perfection."

- Summerless <3~

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Mon May 12, 2008 11:43 pm
Ross says...

I agree entirely with Summerless. I am my worst critic.

I honestly thought that one story I posted on here (Wrong Or Right, if you want the specifics) was complete crap. I thought, "Oh, nobody will read this. Who am I kidding?" But your opinion is really not what matters. It's how people accept and like it that makes you a good writer. So I posted my rough drafts and I listened to advice. Some I ignored, others I used. And it turns out that it was generally well-accepted and one chapter was on the Featured Works slideshow.

Let that be an encouraging tale to dust off the ol' typewriter or computer keyboard and start writing.

Really, I don't do much other than grammar and spelling. The rest is up to people to advise you on.
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue May 13, 2008 2:08 am
JFW1415 says...

deafwriter_19 wrote:Really, I don't do much other than grammar and spelling. The rest is up to people to advise you on.

To a point, yes.

Right now, I've been lectured about the same things over and over again. It's gotten to a point where I fix the stuff before I post it. I'm becoming more independent, and my critiquers can look for new things to help me even more.

The whole point is to learn from your mistakes. If you skimp on details in one piece, you most likely will in another. The trick is to learn how to spot it and fix it.

~JFW1415

Random avatar

Reviews: 38
Mon May 19, 2008 11:32 pm
Squishy says...

don't compare yourself to famous authors but do compare yourself to yourself.

writing is like golf, your only competitor is the score you got last week

“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell