z

Young Writers Society

Building up romance: Help!

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:45 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

I didn't notice until recently, but I'm a sucker for romance. I like to see a little of it in every story.

Except I've suddenly forgotten how you actually build up a romance between two characters. More specifically, I've forgotten how to (aka: never really gotten far enough into a story to try) build up romance in a more fantasy type story (novel) where the characters won't constantly be interacting with each other.

Can anyone help me out?
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:04 pm
Leja says...

I think that the most important thing to remember is that the characters don't have to constantly interact with each other. Just because they're romantically involved doesn't mean that their brains have melded into one, or that they're constantly running a three legged race (think: RichandAmy from the comic Zits). It's just like any other characters getting to know each other, just a bit more in depth.

Does that help a bit?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:53 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

*is interested*

Who's a romantic interest? Yazra and...?

Sorry, that's not very helpful.

Uh, start with dialogue. Little bits of body language like running fingers through hair, clearing throat, staring down at the ground, fidgeting. That's all foreshadowing.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

220 Reviews

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 am
Sleeping Valor says...

XD I knew some people would guess that. And I'm not sure if it will be Yazra. Her original personallity didn't leave much room for romance, due to her sort of blank, resigned nature. However, the newer version of her (yet to make an appearance on YWS) is a bit more interesting. ^_^ I shall write something up about this in the little progress journal.

And thanks, both. Not the detailed guide I was hoping for, but all helpful points. They're helping me remember what's important. :D
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:45 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Well, I'm still figuring out how to build romantic tension myself, so I can't give you a detailed guide lol.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:16 pm
Leja says...

topic11917.html

^ you might find Caligula's Landerette's "Too Darn Hot" post in Writing Tips helpful to read through, which looks at what romance writing is really about.

And like lyrical_sunshine said, dialogue is big. Notice where characters' manner of speaking changes in relation to their emotions.

220 Reviews

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:39 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Thanks! Very helpful link. ^_^

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:25 pm
seshat77 says...

Well, I dont know much about writing romance, I'm not too great at it. But, i have noticed (your signature) that you read twilight, I do have a warning. DO NOT use Stephenie Meyer's method, the constant 'being together' and thinking about eachother that Edward and Bella have. Don't get me wrong I love twilight, but it is much healthier for writers and books to have a romance that is more built up and problematic. Edward and Bella are CONSTANTLY together and Bella is always swooning over Edward, I don't ike the fact that Edward always has a way to be with her alone. It is much better if there are other characters around at times or something keeps them from eachother. Or have a certain qurik that they don't like about eachother. Romantic tension is good.

You know what the big problem is in telling fantasy and reality apart? They're both ridiculous.
— The 12th Doctor