z

Young Writers Society

To kill or not to kill...that is the question

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:58 pm
khfan890 says...

I already know who is going to die when I start the book. Somebody else said they do that so they don't get too attached. I do it so that I do get attached and so that the reader will find it harder to give that person up. If I really like a character and they die, it'll come out that I'm sad when I'm writing it. But, generally, I wouldn't kill just to say, "You die because I say so." There should be a general reason.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:56 am
Sleeping Valor says...

1)Kill when the character has to die. Usually this is for the plot, but also it is for themselves. They just cannot live because logic, their personality, and everything else makes it impossible for them to. (ex: Villain has a glove that kills on touch, they don't know about it, they are reckless by nature and decide they are going to attack the villain even though they didn't stand much of a chance in the first place. You have to keep them in character, and 'convenient' saves drive people nuts. So, they die).

2) Sometimes kill when you want to kill them. Let's face it, sometimes they just need to die because you hate them, your readers will hate them, and no one will be happy if they survive. ^_^

If you love them all, then you're in trouble. Follow rule number one: do any of them have to die? Don't kill them because it's dramatic, kill them because letting them live is too convenient.

^_^ Keek!

(Darn. Now I have to rethink me killing that one character. >_>)
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

Reviews: 4
Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:49 am
EERC says...

Sleeping Valor wrote:
2) Sometimes kill when you want to kill them. Let's face it, sometimes they just need to die because you hate them

LOL! So true, I find myself wanting to kill or delete a character when I can't see the point on it existing XD!
Proud Venezuelan.
Harry Potter, Avatar, Death Note, The Legend of Zelda and Sweeney Todd fan.
"There are two infinite things: The Universe and human stupidity"- Albert Einstein

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:33 pm
Joeducktape says...

Ah, yes. Always a difficult decision. Well, here are the reasons where I kill one of my characters:

1) She is a wonderful, optimistic person. If she does not die, the pain she will have to endure will leave her defeated.

2) Her death brings about realizations and effects change in the other characters.

3) Her purpose in the story has been fulfilled.

I think killing a character is only good when it is a) a catalyst or b) removing clutter. I would also say to avoid bringing characters back to life or anything so deus ex machina. If you want to bring the character back to life, you have to ask yourself why they even needed to die in the first place.
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

Do. Or do not. There is no try.
— Yoda