z

Young Writers Society

Name Game #2

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:39 pm
bookworm201 says...

Okay, I read somewhere that if you can't think of a title for a story after you're a third of the way through it, you're in trouble. I don't necessarily think that's true, but I want to know-

When do you guys think up titles? It seems to me I behind that curve because I can never think of anything!
"reading one book is like eating one potato chip."
-diane duane in so you want to be a wizard
[url=secondday.proboards.com]best rpg ever[/url]

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:04 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, I always like to think up a title before I start writing - that's how I've always done it.

But I suppose it's entirely possible that you can wait 'till you're finished writing, revising, and doing that several times before *the* title pops up. Whatever suits you, I think.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:14 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

It varies for me. I love experimenting with combinations of words. Generally with the plot comes the title.

Agreeing with Kyle -- whatever works. :P
ohmeohmy

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:21 pm
logosgal says...

bookworm201 wrote:When do you guys think up titles?
Whenever. Or never. :roll: I managed to think up a title for my NaNoWriMo novel pretty quickly (i.e. if it wasn't before I started writing, it was pretty soon after). In contrast, I entered a script into a script-writing contest with the title "Little Red Riding Hood," even though I hated that title for that script, as it was only loosely based on the Little Red Riding Hood story. I finally came up with a couple of reasonably acceptable titles a few months later, but it was a little too late.

Of course, some authors go through several titles before their work is published, so if you can't come up with a good title quickly, you're probably ok. I wouldn't fret too much about having a killer title by the time you're one-third of the way through, or even before you finish, as the case may be. So, yeah, like Cpt. Smurf and Sumi said, whatever works.
Home is where the books are.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:11 am
Elelel says...

Well ... I don't know if I'd really worry about not having a title a third of the way through. I'd be more concerned with the actual writing.

But, that said, maybe there's truth behind it. I either think up titles before I write something, or I never do (or at least rarely do). But the thing is it doesn't stop the story being any good. It's probably just got something to do with trying to hard to think of something. I can never think of anything good when I try to, and so if I'm trying to think of a title, which would usually happen part-way into the writing of it, it doesn't work.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:56 pm
Fishr says...

Titles are secondary.

Write the story, and eventually, once you understand the plot, setting and the char's motives, a title will come forth eventually. But a writer shouldn't be so fixiated on having a title first. It will cost you time, and could possibly cause a block, among other things.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:05 pm
Areida says...

That sounds pretty arbitrary to me. "One-third of the way and no title? You're screwed." There have been times where the title has come first for me, then the story, but more often it's the story, then the title. For one of my favorites, Hail Mary, I didn't name it till I was halfway finished, so that breaks the rule, I guess. ;) Another I couldn't think up a decent title for, so it was "untitled." Then the characters wouldn't shut up and now there's an "untitled 2" and an "untitled 3." And even though that's sort of an emo title, it kind of fits, because neither character has a name.

So all that rambling to say that don't worry about it too much. It's not a hard and fast rule. ;)
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:34 pm
Azila says...

I don't think titles are actually s very integral part of the story. I think that they are just there to give you a little foreshadowing of what's to come before reading it. I always have trouble thinking of titles, and usually end up finding one once I've FINISHED the story. I usually think of a temporary title just to name the document on my computer but 97% of the time it changes once the piece is done.

... If that means anything. :roll:

~Azila~

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:10 pm
Stori says...

Sometimes I think of something right away. Sometimes, like they said, I just put any title on the doccument.

You really shouldn't worry about a title. Just write.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

a little humanity makes all the difference
— Rosendorn