z

Young Writers Society

Scaring yourself

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:38 am
Roaming Shadow says...

((While this topic is geared towards the generally older members, I'm leaving this topic open, so don't go into details please. Otherwise, I'll need to slap a rating on it. Thank you.))

How many of you out there have gotten an idea, started writing it out as it came to you, and either as you're writing your rough idea or once the idea's on paper, you're mildly disturbed by what you just jotted down. And yet, it still sounds good. And you seriously consider fleshing it out.

I know Snoink's done something to this extent with her whole "Unicorns and Virgins" thread in Fantasy Fools I belive. That was interesting, to put it lightly. So, basically, have any of you gotten serious ideas that either scared, creeped out, or mildly disturbed you; that you actually still like? In case you hadn't figured it out already, this just recently happened to me, on a somewhat tired mind. Feel free to express yourself.

As for myself, the idea that occured would likey be right at home in a hard-core dark fantasy section. And even though I've never read dark fantasy, I am seriously considering fleshing this out. I must just get into weird states of mind at night.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:42 am
Ares says...

This did happen to me once. I don't really remember the piece of writing though. I just remember it happening. If I remember I'll come back and elaborate. It was pretty freaky.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:51 am
Bella says...

that happens to me all the time because my parents expect me to write little frilly stories but I'll put some gore in and sometimes the gore scares me...but i still love it.
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:00 am
Lancrist says...

I just wrote a short story where a towering androgynous genie attempts to seduce a man into making love to it.

I assume that's what you're talking about.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:19 am
Snoink says...

Actually, I didn't think it was that bad, LMAO.

In the mythology I am working on, I have someone who is a half-breed... and not just human/elf, but human and a dragonish creature known as a Black Swan. Which is weird in itself, but then she falls in love with the father of the Black Swan. And then they... yeah. Incest? *cringes*

There was also this one really creepy storybook I was in where the character I was playing in first person -- a horrible murderous creature whose methods of torture were completely and utterly perverted -- and he actually started to take me over. That was just frightening.

I raised it up to a PG-13, just in case. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:03 am
Jiggity says...

Ooh, ooh, *raises hand excitedly*

I write dark fantasy, hehe, I'm not disturbed by my ideas... although the same cannot be said for those who read 'em.

The latest dark offering I have in mind is about a young girl who becomes fascinated with her grandfathers eyes and ends up stealing one of them from his open coffin funeral...

T'will be titled: World Vision.

Look out for it, lol.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:41 pm
Thriving Fire says...

In the book I'm writing at the moment, when I sat down to write the first chapter, an idea came to mind that genuinely scared me... And do you know what? It's the idea I like most.
Why? I hear you ask.
Simple: the story is a horror-leaning story that is meant to scare, and if it scares me, a hardened reader by all accounts, chances are it will scare you. As for the specifics of the idea, I can't really say because it's a pretty huge plot revelation.
But the point is, if you get an idea that you find disturbing, without a doubt, flesh it out (hey, that rhymes!). Because after all, if you put that idea in a book, and the book is an international bestseller, that's not your fault; it just means there are a lot of people who want to read about it.
Providing the idea's good, of course.
I have an idea about these voices I hear
They're audible to everyone
Everyone but me

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:27 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I did that for a short story once. It was very deep and disturbing. Wasn't particularly good though. The teacher never looked at the same way after that!

I do like to write disturbing scenes, but the disturbing elements in them creep me out a bit. House of Wolves, a dark fantasy I'm working on, will have disturbing elements to it, and I'm sort of apprehensive about writing one scene in particular. *shivers*
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:13 pm
Ani May Queen says...

Oh I'm sure I have, although nothing comes to mind write off hand. I write a lot of stories that involve depression and mental illnesses, and I think that worries my mother.

"No Mom, just because my character is suicidal does not mean I'm going to off myself any time soon."

:roll:
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality. - Jules de Gaultier

You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.
— Madeleine L'Engle, Author