z

Young Writers Society

Soooo annoyed/anyone wanna co-plot?

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:39 am
AWritersFantasy says...

I'm experiencing...well, I guess it's writer's block. And it SUCKS.

See, I have the ideas. I've been coming up with ideas for my Watcher story for...the last few weeks.

Every time I go to start a chapter, I start writing it and get to say...a page and a half before getting frustrated because I feel like it sucks.

I've tried rewriting it three or four times, each with different beginnings, and each time I get frustrated.

I THINK what the problem is is that for almost two years, there was only one story I was working on, but I gave up on it a few months ago. So it's been two years, pretty much, since I've tried wriitng the beginning to a story (other than what I wrote for NaNo...which never got very far, sadly), so I'm out of practice.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get past this? I've tried looking for prompts...I've gone to the NaNo boards and have looked at their opening line threads but most of them are ones that wouldn't really work for the story I'm wanting to write, because it's fantasy.

On another note, would anyone be interested in sort of...co-plotting with me? It's something I only came up with yesterday and I think I'd like to try it. o.O I came up with it when I was answering the "looking for a partner" thread, so the idea can be found at http://youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?t=7639&start=15, in the reply I made. If you're interested, either reply here or send me a PM. ^_^

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:42 pm
Writersdomain says...

Writer's block and perfectionism. *sighs*

I know what you mean about going back and rewriting a beginning multiple times, but as writers, sometimes we have to push aside our perfectionist tendencies and let our ideas speak for themselves. Then we can go back and edit them. Just write. I know it's painful, because I'm experiencing something similar right now, but when you get past the hard sections and into the fun stuff, you'll be more inspired to go back and toy with the hard sections.

As for ideas, there's not much I can suggest besides reading, music and writing nonsense snippets. Good luck!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

59 Reviews

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:29 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

I don't think it's really perfectionism...if it is, I sure don't realize it, lol. Although now that I think about it, maybe after reading other people's writing that they've posted and seeing these really nice openings to their stories, I subconsciously want the opening to my story to be as good as those. o.O Hmm...

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Dreami says...

I sent you a message about co-authoring. I'm definately interested. It would be a great way to improve each other's writing and also see strengths/weaknesses. :)

59 Reviews

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:33 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Yeah, I saw. Just haven't had a chance to finish writing the reply. XD I have to clean my room and get it like...presentable, at least, and then hopefully I'll be able to reply. I looked at one of the stories you posted in fantasy fiction (I forget what it's called) and was very impressed by the amount of world building you seemed to have done, so yay. :D

Only the suppressed word is dangerous.
— Ludwig Borne