Young Writers Society

How do you like your sentences?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:49 pm
Snoink says...

Original recipe or crispy?

No, seriously. We all have different ways of writing sentences because we like the way some sentences sound. Or something. What kind of sentences do you like?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:23 pm
Via says...

I like them overeasy on rye, please.

No, really though...I think it really depends on what the tone of the story/poem/whatever else that I am writing. I really like hyphens--I use them often to replace semicolons and commas within my sentences. But yea, it really depends on the story.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:19 am
Cassandra says...

I like to use a variety of sentence types (or at least I hope I do!), but as write me said, it depends on the story or the tone you're trying to set for a certain scene.

In general, though, I like cripser sentences over the long and flowy ones, but that's just me.
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:09 am
Via says...

I have to agree, I'm not much for long, awkwardly worded sentences. I'm one for sarcastic shorts. :D
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:42 am
Myth says...

I like long ones and short ones. And some that end with questions =]
.: ₪ :.

'...'

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:31 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

I like to mix and match. Sometimes, I switch it up good.

*winks*

Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:42 am
Alteran says...

Depends on the mood i'm going for. When it's urgent i use more short sentences and when things are going steady it's an even match of the two. My more dpressing scenes tend to be very detailed and the sentences are longer.

I try to use the sentence length and structure as a tool to create a strong mood.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:54 pm
Twit says...

The situation controls how I structure a sentance. If its a point I'm trying to get across, I keep it short, so as to make an impact. If it's a description, I like the sentance to be loooong and floooowiiiiiing into each other. :)

-ShadowTwit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:02 pm
Meep says...

Like Adam said, it depends on the mood (or era/scene/style/whatever) I'm trying to set up. Sometimes I like my sentences short and snappy, sometimes I like them longer and more flowing.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:32 pm
Pushca says...

oiled.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:58 pm
Wiggy says...

I tend to gravitate toward sentences that are long, but not pointless. I love elegantly crafted pose, which is why I'm so into the classics. Short is good, too. :D

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:28 am
Sam says...

I like the Russian writers for their long, flowy sentences- they've got a knack for making them winding, but they end with a punch. It's like a whole story compacted into one line.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:07 pm
Poor Imp says...

Sam wrote:I like the Russian writers for their long, flowy sentences- they've got a knack for making them winding, but they end with a punch. It's like a whole story compacted into one line.

Oy, Sam beat me to that one - though put it as well as any. ^_~ Dostoyevsky's three page paragraph's are lovely, (in a way) as well. Though that's off the subject of sentences.

When I write, I think I tend towards a little less length. Paradoxical and the oxymoronic in brief than length make an intriguing flow. ^_^

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:43 pm
Goldenheart says...

Though I can read long, flowing sentences, I've the hardest time writing them. If the sentence it too long, I lose myself, and get confused, and I forget what I meant to say when I began it. I like fresh, snappy sentences, ones that surprise you. In 'Spunk and Bite', the author talks about a sentence which trots by like a unicorn in pajamas. I love things like that. :)
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:37 pm
Prokaryote says...

It depends on what I'm feeling like. Sometimes I like them long and flowy and other times I like shorter ones. The best writing, however, has both kinds. :)

Prokaryote

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.
— James R. Cook